Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

morning Doc,i have a question about something that has been

morning Doc,i have a question about something that has been going on for some time,
i think it that when i pass wind a little bit of poo must come out aswell,its not all the time,but over the last few days ,its happening a lot,every time i wipe my bottom to make sure its clean,there is something there.
hope you can help
iam 57 years old and fit and heathy
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The symptoms you are having of passing poo along with wind or having fluid/leakage at anus suggests of a condition called anal incontinence.
Its most common causes are:Severe diarrhea,stress,damage to the nerves that control the anal muscle, reduction in the elasticity of the rectum, Inflammatory bowel disease(IBD),Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).
It is more common in elderly age as the there is reduction in the elasticity of the rectum.History of constipation is another common cause.It causes the muscles of the anus and intestines to stretch and weaken.
You need following tests:
-Anal manometry
-Proctography
-Anal electromyography tests
If the anal muscles are weak, injections of ‘bulking agents' into the wall of the anus may help.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with ano-rectal doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert