Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My wife is going to the toilet every 5 minutes she has been

My wife is going to the toilet every 5 minutes she has been very loose for 4 weeks and cannot keep any food inside. We cannot get a a doctors appointment but she has given a sample for analyses. She has taken various tablets which do not help. There is no blood and she does not feel too ill apart from extreme worry and obvious soreness. She is otherwise a healthy 74 year old; She has not been sick. What do you think this might be ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The stool sample is key here and I hope it's being sent for cultures because any diarrhea that lasts beyond about five days has to be considered bacterial and not viral--bacterial as in E coli, salmonella, or C diff. She could try some PeptoBismol for now and follow the BRAT diet of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, and she needs to keep up with the fluid and electrolyte loss with juices or something like GatorAde. This could be a serious bout of irritable bowel syndrome or a food intolerance like lactose intolerance, but my first thought is it's a bacterial enteritis for which she'll need antibiotics.