Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

How does a liver remove blood

How does a liver remove blood
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--we can continue after this but the liver doesn't remove blood. It does filter the blood and metabolize substances in the blood and with some substances it detoxifies them. It has many other functions but it doesn't actually remove blood from the body
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am told by a medical professor that my wife liver is loosing blood.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK John. Please tell me more. Is it that she's anemic, and, if so, is it an iron deficiency anemia? Why did you ask about her liver?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Wife is anaemic and the Professor has been examining her stomach and colon for the loses of blood with out success.

He observes a change in her liver blood test and is considering a MRI scan.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Is that because her liver enzymes are elevated? Has she been checked for a vitamin B12 deficiency? And again, is this an iron deficiency anemia--are her iron store levels low?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Wife takes Vitamin B12 ever day. No comment on iron deficiency so suspect OK

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK John--can you tell me more specifically all that the professor has told you about her condition so I can fill in the gaps for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry.

I have a 2 inch folder full of information about my wife's problem but I do not have time to repeat it.

Just trying to find how a liver removes blood. You say no.

John

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK John--let me end with this. In severe liver disease like hepatitis and cirrhosis, there can be anemia from some red blood cell destruction and from the red cells not having a normal life span but usually that's a mild anemia. She may either have iron deficiency or, even if she takes it orally, a vitamin B12 deficiency. She needs a fuller anemia workup but at this point I wouldn't say the anemia is just from her liver problem.