Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a recent ultrasound which showed a 5mm thickening of

I had a recent ultrasound which showed a 5mm thickening of the bladder wall. I am going to see a urologist. I have had 2 instances of blood (it was like a clot with pus) in my urine this year and now have white bits in my urine that look like mucus or semen it is painful and makes me want to urinate a lot and i really have to squeeze to get the white bits out after which the discomfort subsides. My gp says that it is not a UTI after having tests and that it is unlikey to be cancer. I am very worried. It seems to go away and then come back. Any idea what it might be?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This sounds like either hemorrhagic cystitis or interstitial cystitis which isn't cancer. It's exact cause hasn't been identified but it's diagnosed with cystoscopy and biopsies of the bladder wall. There is a new medication called Elmiron that effectively treats it.