Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My 2 year old underwent neck surgery/drainage for a superficial

My 2 year old underwent neck surgery/drainage for a superficial abscess 4 months ago which lead to paralysis of her orbicularis oris muscle and weakness of the face/deviation of lower angle of the mouth(a recognised complication). Blunt dissection and finger sweeps were used to divide abscess septations.Having checked her throat today we have noted that her uvula deviates to one side. She hasn't had tonsillectomy or any other surgery and I think this is a complication of the abscess drainage /surgery 4 months ago which we haven't noted to date. Are there nerves under the angle of mandible which supply the uvula and can lead to uvular deviation?Child is otherwise well. Any guidance on nerve supply or mechanism of uvular deviation or complications of abscess drainage in submandibular region would be helpful
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
The uvula is supplied by cranial nerves 9 and 10 the glossopharyngeal and vagus nerves.
If the right side is damaged, when the patient says Ah the uvula deviates to the left and the left side of the palate elevates more.
I think this answers your question.
Children do pretty well with regenerating nerves, I hope this will be the case for your daughter and that she recovers some function.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified with experience in primary care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

excellent thank you