Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Over 2 weeks ago I found a small vein/blood vessel appearing

Customer Question

Over 2 weeks ago I found a small vein/blood vessel appearing bump on the left side of my penis just under the head of the penis and can only be felt if I pull back the foreskin. It is discreet and not prominent, it appears to be horizontal and only about 1cm in length. It has no noticeable colouring, rash, pain, discomfort and has not increased in size or texture that I have noticed.
To touch it feels almost cord like but I wouldn't describe it as particularly hard. When completely flacid and relaxed it feels soft and thin and barely noticeable, once tampered with it seems to bulge only slightly more and seems not particularly harder but perhaps more firm like a vein.
It is discreet in terms of its appearance and to find via touch so it is possible that it has been there a long time or has always been there for all I'm aware. Visually it doesn't stand out from anywhere else under the foreskin. It may be worth mentioning there is a similar cord like vein/blood vessel running on the opposite side but doesn't appear to change too much in thickness at all.
It could also be relevant mentioning that over the last 6 - 12 months I have masturbated very frequently, each day often reaching orgasm between 6- 12 times a day and often without lubrication.
As I stated there is no rash, colouring, pain and diesnt seem to have changed since i discovered it.i have checked it most days since i discovered it. I could sometimes be described as a hypercondriac with medical issues. Could you please advise me as to whether this is something to worry about/ keep an eye on or whether I am over thinking it and it is just a natural vein or blood vessel or anything.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

hello

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : Hello. Sam
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Sam

Dr. Phil, MD :

nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

This sounds totally normal

Dr. Phil, MD :

any way you could attach a picture?

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : That is great to hear. I believe I may be over thinking it. As I said there is no discomfort or anything particularly noticeable. Can I attach a picture in here?
Dr. Phil, MD :

Yes, just use the paperclip icon

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : I cannot seem to see the icon. Where is it located?
Dr. Phil, MD :

right above where you type

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : I am on my phone, I cannot seem to find the icon. I will look further.
Dr. Phil, MD :

Okay

Dr. Phil, MD :

standing by

Dr. Phil, MD :

I think this is nothing to worry about though

Dr. Phil, MD :

a picture would confirm it

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : It is penile cancer that has concerned me. What symptoms would I look for and do I match any?
Dr. Phil, MD :

Penile cancer would usually be a large lump or a skin ulceration that won't heal

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : So it would be a noticeable lump? How hard would it be?
Dr. Phil, MD :

It would be hard

Dr. Phil, MD :

and yes it would be noticeable

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : Thank you. Would a tumour ever appear vein like in appearance and feel?
JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : could
JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : also can excessive masturbation cause any form of swelling or anything of the like?
Dr. Phil, MD :

no it would not

Dr. Phil, MD :

look like a vein

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes of course masturbation can do this

Dr. Phil, MD :

it causes more blood to go to the penis and thus swelling of veins

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : So from what I've described does it sound like it could just be a vein or blood vessel or something else natural?
Dr. Phil, MD :

Yes it absolutely does

Dr. Phil, MD :

any more questions Sam?

Dr. Phil, MD :

overall it sounds pretty benign

Dr. Phil, MD :

a doctor visit should be done to confirm

Dr. Phil, MD :

but it seems like nothing to worry about

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : Thank you for this information. Just a couple more things. If tumorous would there be fluctuation in its firmness and also is penile cancer rare as I have read?
Dr. Phil, MD :

No it would stay the same size if cancer

Dr. Phil, MD :

no fluctuation

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes it is rare. I have never seen a case of it

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : Thank you for all of your help. I am still unable to find where to attach a picture via my phone. Though i tried to show this to my partner and she could not visibly notice anything. It is really only noticeable as any other vein or vessel under the foreskin and cannot particularly be noticed without touch.
Dr. Phil, MD :

If it were serious you would like see it

Dr. Phil, MD :

Did I do excellent work for you today Sam?

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : Okay thank you for this assistance. Yes your medical advice and info has helped ease my worries on the matter.
Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome

Dr. Phil, MD :

would you mind clicking an excellent face before you leave?

JACUSTOMER-kqffonh9- : Will do. Than you for your help.
Dr. Phil, MD :

thank you :)

I appreciate the excellent rating.
I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/
I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi would it be possible to ask a few questions about testicular cancer?
sure sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6-7 weeks ago I went to the dr's about a small pin head sized bump on the connective tissue between the testicle and the tail of the epididymis. The dr checked my testicles and said it was probably something natural. I had the area checked by another dr a couple if weeks later, again the dr checked my testicles but didnt find the area I was describing and explained it could be a cyst, blood vessel or natural. I carried on to worry and visited a dr who said that it sounded like nothing out of the ordinary but sent me for an ultrasound to ease my mind. I had the ultrasound 5 weeks after originally finding the area. The ultrasound found nothing but a 2mm cyst on the epdidymis of the right testicle and a 4mm one of the epididymis of the left. I was also referred to see a therapist as the dr who sent me for the ultrasound found I had symptoms of health anxiety and prescribed me medication to calm me in the meantime. So this may suggest that I am just worrying myself over nothing.
Since my ultrasound I have began to worry if the ultrasound missed this pin head bump, I'm unsure of wether this bump is the 2mm cyst that the ultrasound reported as it feels softer at times but when the scrotum is relaxed it feels a bit more noticeable. When prodded at it feels almost longer and thinner like some artery/vein/blood vessel. Over the 6-7 weeks since I discovered it it doesn't appear to have changed. It may have always been there for all I know as it is quite discreet. I didn't know if it was part of the natural connective tissue between the testicle and tail of epdidymis or a condition not to worry about?
Also if cancerous would I have noticed an obvious change 6-7 weeks later and would an ultrasound have picked it up?
I have been informed the small grainy bump could be the 2mm cyst coiled up. It's worth mentioning that I have had no symptoms such as pains, tenderness or back pain or abdominal pain.
Sam, this is absolutely nothing to worry about
the ultrasound would not have missed anything serious
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'd like to ask just a last 3 questions if that's okay.
As I mentioned before the bump I think I've noticed is on the connective tissue at the bottom of the right testes on the back side on the tissue connecting the tail of the epididymis. Upon further inspection pressing into the tissue beneath it seems beneath the grain sized bump there feels as though there might be a tough rigid feel to it under the tissue maybe half a cm long but its hard to tell. It feels as though this could be on the left epididymis too but I'm not sure. It feels tough and bumpy. This is when I press in to it quite firmly, it doesn't feel particularly sensitive to note. I cannot be sure if its always been like that as the small bump is very discreet and the rough tissue even more so as you have to really press to feel it. I've never given close inspection to anything other than the testes itself until recentley so it may have always been like this.
So 1: does this sound like anything to worry about or would connective tissue feel rigid/a bit bumpy if pinched into firmly?
2: am I correct in saying cancerous tumors on the epididymis are rare?
3: what would I be looking for when examining for anything cancerous on the epidydimis? And would it be more obvious and distinct than what I am describing feeling?
As I mentioned before I had seen a few doctors and had an ultrasound a fortnight ago that detected just a small cyst on the epididymis of each testes and nothing else just to clarify.
Your answer to these 3 questions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
would you mind rating again Sam?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have done that thankyou for your previous answer.
1: does this sound like anything to worry about or would connective tissue feel rigid/a bit bumpy if pinched into firmly?
No it doesn't. Not at all Sam. This sounds totally benign to me
Yes, they are VERY rare. I have never seen one in my career
It would be a hard lump on the back/bottom of the testicle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou. Would the lump be of a noticable size? Woupd the rigid /bumpiness I'm feeling when pinching the connective tissue just be the muscle and tissue that in feeling that makes it up?
Yes, it would be noticeable.
it would be a distinct lup
yes that is exactly what it is Sam. Just connective tissue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it also be firm to the testicle if it was something to worry about?on the bit im feeling When the scrotum is soft you can feel it at the bottom but it feels almost small and bobble like and able to move and then when pinched pulls away so as I said, it seems as if its on the tail of the epidydimis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Upon further inspection it seems as though the area in the right epididymis that I'm concerned about is tougher and harder than the rest if the tissue and feels rigid. On the left epididymis I cannot find anything similar.
I first found it 7 weeks ago. Would I have noticed a development in that time period?
Is there any condition or reason why the tissue may feel like this?
I feel I know I am probably worrying way too much as I know that the area doesn't seem to have changed, I have no other symptoms, a few doctors have said its all okay when I've described it and the ultrasound came up clear just 2 weeks ago. To add to that I've been referred by a doctor to see a therapist about suspected anxiety which may explain the panic I'm experiencing.
You probably would not have had that rapid of change.
you are probably just noticing it more now
there are many conditions that can mimic this. cysts are probably the most common. especially if it is painless. also a spermatocele.
if you had a normal ultrasound, you have nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I had an ultrasound over both testes that took about ten minutes, most of that period was spent looking at the right testicle which is the one I've had concern over. They did find a cyst on each epididymis. I was told it was all fine but never saw the images to tell if the but I'm feeling was the cyst or not. I'd it possible a cyst could feel hard: rigid and could be uneven feeling?
What do spermatocles tend to feel like?
They both feel hard like that
However, a negative ultrasound rules out anything serious
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ah so it probably is the cyst on that side then.
Would the ultrasound pick up even something that discreet then?
yes, but the ultrasound should have picked it up.
ask your doctor if it did.
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I shall do that.
It may be worth mentioning at times it almost feels a but bunched up and then when fingered it almost stretches into a linear shape. Could it be a natural but of tissue that is just harder or some other natural explanation?
Yes, it could be just normal tissue Sam
Most people don't inspect this area with such veracity like you are.
Therefore, you could just be feeling normal anatomy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand what you mean. It's only slightly raised and can only be felt if pressed very firmly. I'm guessing that , as you said before, it would be a lot more distinct and obvious than what I'm describing and I wouldn't have to dig around so much just to find anything?
It's also worth noting after inspection it appears to fluctuate and can almost be felt flatter and more linear after its been pressed and is relaxed. I'm guessing a cancerous mass would not fluctuate and be able to be manipulated?
So given doctors opinions, the ultrasound and from the details I have given do you firmly believe that it is nothing for me to keep concerning myself over?
I think you have nothing to worry about.
probably an epididymal cyst
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm imagining that this is the cyst they have seen on the ultrasound then. Would a cyst perhaps feel hard yet be able to manipulate?
What period of time would you normally notice a growth if serious?
Despite multiple professional opinions, medical examinations, an ultrasound along with noticing no changes or symptoms all over a couple of months I for some reason still seem to struggle to take my mind away from theatre and having the most negative thoughts despite everything telling me I am completely fine.
I think that is your anxiety taking over Sam
you are fixated on it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That definitely seems true.
Thankyou for your help with this matter and your patience.
Could I ask a final couple of questions. How long should I self examine for each month and what exactly would I be looking for on the testicles and epididymis?
My anxiety gets bad and I end up checking for extended periods each day. I am already due to see a therapist in a few weeks and am on prescription medication but for the meantime do you have any advice for me? Since yourself, the doctors I have seen and the ultrasound have came up clear would you recommend refraining from self examination for the next month and to believe what professionals such have yourself have informed me about my specific situation?
I just drive myself crazy with it. Everything you've told me such as how my condition seems benign, how epididymal cancer is so rare and the other information does reassure me though and has made me look at it in a more positive light.
would you mind rating positive for me?
I appreciate it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Has my rating gone through?
nope
I would try not to examine yourself except for once per month. It is going to drive you crazy. Once a month is what is recommended.
I would stop for one month then check monthly.
A follow up ultrasound in 6 months would be fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is what I will try and do then. How long do I examine for? At the moment I've been taking half an hour to an hour each time which in guessing is too long.
Considering what I've described and the fact I actually went to the doctors about a small bump on my penis a couple of weeks prior to my first visit to the doctors about my testicles shows that my mind is just running away with itself and making something out of nothing.
Would a second ultrasound be necessary if I find no change to my situation or could I then leave it?
Just examine for about 2-3 minutes then let it go once a month
If there is no change then the ultrasound isn't absolutely necessary but it might give you peace of mind
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou, so just a gentle scan over each testicle for a minute or so on each and if there was anything to worry about then it would feel hard, quite distinct and would feel out if the ordinary?
I may get a follow up one in 6 months but if there is no change and if my anxiety has eased by then then I may leave it if that sounds sensible enough.
that is correct. Just a gentle scan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** *****: when a cancerous lump is located by touch what does it generally feel like and is it usually on the testicle itself?
Yes it is generally a hard lump on the testicles