DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello I spoke to a neurologist a while back calling himself

Hello I spoke to a neurologist a while back calling himself Dr Frank T on here about a seemingly rare condition I have. I'm 'hypersensitive' to many foods, materials, fumes etcetera and I have to take prescribed antihistamines for them. My body becomes quite stiff, my sinuses become blocked and my eyes become itchy etcetera without them but when I get a reaction to something I'm 'allergic' to or sensitive to my head also used to become or feel extremely 'tight'. The front of my head used to physically 'block-up' completely and in severe cases the sides of my head also felt as though they were 'blocking up'. I couldn't use my imagination when it happened, I'd lose my emotions in fact I'd lose most of the good things I have about me psychologically / mentally when I had a reaction.
The only reason I don't feel like this any more unless I expose myself to something particularly potent is because Dr Frank T told me to try SSRI antidepressants to counteract the extra histamine release in my brain with increased serontonin levels which could be frontal lobe symptoms which I mainly described to him. The SSRI's work I'm using Sertraline one of the one's he recommended which was Zoloft, 100 mg's, and like I say unless I expose myself to something particularly potent I don't feel like this anymore and even if I do experience these symptoms at the front of my head or the sides they are so much less severe than they were before.
My question tonight is just what my condition would be called because it's extremely rare. Whatever he thought it was he was right because the SSRI antidepressants work. I even think that I was possibly a bit depressed before too in hindsight possibly because of how often I was experiencing these reactions which had a very regular and severe effect on me because within a few months of taking them I felt 'right' for the first time in a long time. I'm happy, I'm not getting the reactions which were constantly getting me down which I think were the cause of me being a bit depressed (I didn't even know I was depressed until I felt normal again!) Before I spoke to him I couldn't even get a doctor to listen to me or believe me it's so rare. If you could tell me what my condition would be called I'd really appreciate it please?? I don't like talking to my doctor about it because even though she's giving me the tablets he recommended and she know's they're working something still tells me she has her doubts about what causes these reactions but I know for a fact it was the things I'm 'allergic' or sensitive to. I tried going without the antihistamines and just the Sertraline last week without telling my doctor just to test it out and within a couple of days as soon as I went outside I felt terrible. My head completely blocked up. I need the Sertraline to compliment the antihistamines because without the Sertraline they only help so much. I always knew the cause was the things I'm sensitive to but this just reminded me how severe my condition is without medication and I'm hoping you can tell me what it'd be called please?? Lots of people are sensitive to materials, foods etcetera but they don't get frontal lobe symptoms like I do or tightening up or 'blocking up' at the sides of their heads too! (Mainly at the front of my head but sometimes the sides too if it's severe without the Sertraline.)
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There is no specific condition psychologically or neurologically that fits this.
It is most likely chemical hypersensitivity syndrome and the data on this is emerging.
What did the prescribing doctor tell you?
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Thomas... I didn't ask my doctor for a name and I'm not due to see her again until the end of next month and that's why I asked on here. I will run it past her to see what she would call it but I wanted to hear what someone on here says because I suspect my doctor thinks it's purely psychological. I don't think it is because I tried going without the antihistamines quite optimistically and within five or ten minutes of being outside I felt terrible. With the antihistamines and antidepressants together I feel fine inside or outside and with most foods and materials.

While writing this I've just quickly googled chemical hypersensitivity syndrome and found 'Multiple Chemical Sensitivity' or MCS on Wikipedia straight away. All of the triggers mentioned affect me such as scented products, pesticides, plastics, synthetic fibres, fumes etcetera and I'm wondering if this is what you mean?? It's a recognised condition by the looks, could you have a look at it on Wikipedia for me please and tell me what you think?? It doesn't mention my particular symptoms but it's not exhaustive and it does mention psychiatric and neurological conditions and mentions anxiety and depression. If you could take a look at it please I'd really appreciate it, it fits the bill!

Henry

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes, MCS is what I was referring to.
It is likely that a regular doctor is going to consider this psychological.
There are other doctors, however, who will measure for this and treat it appropriately.
You can find a list of those doctors here.
www.functionalmedicine.org
see the find a practitioner link, upper right of the page.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well thank you. I'm in the UK but I've just been reading a UK Functional Medicine website and I've booked an appointment to see a GP in a couple of weeks time at my own GP's. My treatment works that I have now but I had to fight for it and right now I still don't think my doctors fully appreciate it. The more I read up on MCS the more it makes sense I'm 99.9% sure of this now. I should be 100% sure everything fits.

This is the reason I needed to know what it is because I've been rubbished by them so many times and it's been awkward for me to even bring this problem up with my doctors because I know what they think. MCS fits my condition down to a 'T' and it might not make any sense to you but knowing that this condition has been recognised as real including the neurological and psychiatrical symptoms means a hell of a lot to me. It's making a massive difference already knowing this though like I say you might not get that. To cut it short this has been going on for far too long!

Thanks a lot

Henry

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Yes we trained a functional medicine group in the UK about 2 years back.
If you call the institute they can give you exact names.
You are welcome.
Please don't forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.