Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I hade my teeth veneered back in 2007 and had massive sensitivity

Customer Question

I hade my teeth veneered back in 2007 and had massive sensitivity problems which to some extent I still have. Following this treatment, I had root canal work on my lower tooth next to the molar on my left hand side. Over the coming months I had still got pain in this tooth so I had it retreated. I then had pain in this area again so I had n apicoectomy on this tooth and the 2 either side. All of this work was probably over an 18 month period. Over the next few years I have ALWAYS had low level toothache on this original lower tooth, but the pain was only say 2/10 so I put up with it. It was not there all the time. I often found myself putting my finger nails between the teeth at times and the toothache was hard to exactly pinpoint to this tooth but this tooth has always felt not quite right. Sometimes I pressed on the gum below the tooth. Last year I had terrible toothache again from this area. I again went to a top dentist in Harley Street(recommended by my dentist in Harley Street who had done the root canal works) to investigate the pain. He discovered that the pain was coming from the tooth above and this tooth was also then root filled. However, after about a month or so the mild toothache returned to this lower tooth, but again the pain was about 2/10. In between times I have also had this lower tooth retreated locally where I live. Very recently this upper tooth started to really hurt again so I went to the dentist locally and they retreated this tooth which now appears to be fine. However, following this treatment my lower jaw really started to ache on my left hand side and has gone into my gland. This same lower tooth with the constant toothache went to about 5/10. I went back to my local dentist on Friday and he once again retreated this tooth. I think now this is 4 times! the result now is that this tooth feels awful and is hurting more than ever. The dentist is saying wait another couple of days to see if the pain dies down. There also seems a real reluctance to remove the tooth as the x rays show no damage. I really do not know what to do for the best, ***** ***** bite the bullet and just get it removed?? The other thing I must mention is that my local dentist says the tooth is too small for an implant(have to have a bridge) yet the dentist in Harley Street says it is fine to have an implant when I saw him last.
I would hasten to add that over the years I have had problems with this tooth, it has not been sensitive to hot/cold. it just gives me different levels of toothache!!
So from your experience do you think the tooth should come out or is there ANYTHING else you can think of I could try?
who should I believe regarding whether I can have an implant?
I would add both dentists are highly experienced but both seem reluctant to remove the tooth.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The question about your story is where is the pain coming from?
Does the dentist have any idea?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the pain is coming from this lower tooth, since the root treatment on friday this has gone from mild toothache to having to take pain killers.

they are perplexed why the toochache coming from this tooth has always been quite mild which is why they have not wanted to take it out.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
This would seem to be a temporary problems
Is there any current damage noted in any way?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no current damage? i do not undertsand the question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
I would not pull the tooth.
Have you had the bit checked by a specialist/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the bite has been checked,

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What type of doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think my query needs to be looked at by a dental expert, i presumed that would happen??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
this needs to be reviewed by a dental expert not a gp
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what has happened here, i am not happy with the replies?