Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have had to go to haematology today from a gp referral as

I have had to go to haematology today from a gp referral as I have low white cell count. I am worried. Any ideas what it may be?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. How low is your white cell count and what is the reference range on your report? Why this test was done? What were your symptoms? Any diagnosed medical problem or medications you are on? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure she said under 1 but I don't know hat that means. This was done as part of a general health check up. The count was low in May ok in July and dipped again in September. I am going through menopause at the moment the dr ask if I had wet swears at night, which I do and how my joints are, which do ache. She checked me for lumps in my neck arm pits stomach and groin. I do gave a sore throat most of the time too.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Diane thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. White cell count are the cells which are required for our body defence against infection. Normally they must be above 4000 per micro litre of blood. In your case I think they must be under 1000 and that is why she said that they are under 1. There can be many causes for these low counts and they include viral infections of the bone marrow, recurrent bacterial infections, autoimmune disorders of bone marrow, cancer of blood and bone marrow etc. In your case i don't suspect cancer because the other normal parameters indicate that cancer is not likely to be your cause. The recurrent sore throat you are having can be the cause of it or it can be vice versa. Absence of other problems that she checked for it also reassuring. The more important point is this that how you should proceed. You are rightly going to a haematologist and you need to get further tests like blood peripheral smear and bone marrow biopsy (if your doctor asks for). These two tests will give the clue about the likely. Investigations are required for final diagnosis but serious things are least likely in your case in my opinion. I wish you all the best for a good health. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery