Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Would a GP prescribe piriton to an 8 year old child to make

Customer Question

Would a GP prescribe piriton to an 8 year old child to make her drowsy enough to sleep at night?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Maybe, maybe not. It is an off label use.

Dr. K. :

You can get childrens Benadryl (diphenhydramine) that will work exactly the same.

Dr. K. :

This is over the counter.

Dr. K. :

Hope this helps

JACUSTOMER-yo9lk0sw- :

The only issue i have is that the child has no sleeping issue the mother is ott in the sense the child misbehaves at bedtimes and is now using this to 'sedate' her i do believe this

JACUSTOMER-yo9lk0sw- :

Is wrong

Dr. K. :

Yes youre right

Dr. K. :

This is wrong but it is within the parents right

Dr. K. :

Are you the father?

JACUSTOMER-yo9lk0sw- :

The child is my stepdaughter but did not consult my husband (her father) as they could have spoken to the doctor together as the child has no issues at bedtime with us

Dr. K. :

Ok, if your husband shares custody this is really a legal issue at hand. He has the right to share in medical decisions Its something you may want to consult with a legal expert

JACUSTOMER-yo9lk0sw- :

Thank you ever so much for your help i just needed to know from a medical point whether the decision to do this was solely for the mother

Dr. K. :

It sounds like it to me. Its not a common practice at all