Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I had a miscarriage in January, while in hospital outpatients

Hi, I had a miscarriage in January, while in hospital outpatients my pregnancy hormone dropped very slowly for the first week, then there was a drop of about 70% so they discharged me. A few weeks later I had a contraceptive implant inserted into my arm. Since the day I had my miscarraige I have not gone longer than 3 days without bleeding. I feel generally unwell constantly, I'm bloated have gained 5kilos. In the last 2 months I've been having quite severe abdominal pain, I have no appetite and I've bled constantly everyday. I had a pelvic ultrasound which brought up nothing. My doctor did a full STI test and I have no STI's, they tested for infection in my pelvis which brought up a match for vaginosis, the nurse called to tell me but really fobbed me off in explaining what this is. So i researched it myself and from what i can see it wouldn't be causing all of my problems, eg severe pain in my lower abdomen and in the last few days my bleeding has gotten heavier, is dark brown/black and almost looks like cotton . I feel so disgusting and down, I've been in and out of work, I can't have sex with my partner, I've only recently started a new job and now I've been out sick almost every day for a month, I really just need to figure out what is wrong with me so I can move on and relax. I feel like my life has been turned upside down.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Have you had a ct scan of your abdomen with contrast and have you had your thyroid function tested?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, no I have not. My doctor hasn't suggested any of that at all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. We can continue after this if you'd like but there are two possibilities here. I think you most likely have endometriosis and the ultrasound alone may not diagnose that. It may take a ct scan and it may even take an exploratory laparoscopy. My second thought is a low functioning thyroid problem. And it's possible it's a combination of the two. You'll need to ask your doctor about both of these considerations.