Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a massive flare up with sliding hiatas hernia 5-6 wks

I had a massive flare up with sliding hiatas hernia 5-6 wks ago and ended up in hospital with extreme chest crushing and back pain between shoulders and mid-back either side. I also had crushing in left shoulder and pins and needles down one arm and intense pain in back of head. After various tests I was sent home and dr prescribed me omaprozole and then a few weeks later oesomaprazole. None of the medication is helping, I either am getting crushing chest pain or pressure in mid-higher back either side. It is making me feel extremely ill, I don't feel like eating and have lost weight. I have major flare ups after eating (approx. 30-40mins after) and know something is majorly wrong. Have been to drs several times and they keep saying to give the medicine a chance to work. I really feel like something is trapped inside of me and the pressure is immense, please can you help me asap
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Have you had a full cardiac workup? How about MRI's of your cervical and thoracic spine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, I have had a chest x-ray, blood works, urine sampling, no mri's done, ecg which was ok. I keep getting heart palpatations with squeezing sensations

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Helen. And we can continue after this if you'd like. I don't think this is GI related at all. You need an echocardiogram, cardiac enzymes, and a stress test to see if this is cardiac. That said, this sounds more like a disk problem either in your cervical or thoracic spine or in both and so you need MRI's of both your cervical and thoracic spine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this occurs after eating and then all the time and when food hits a certain point it hurts inside. I feel extremely ill and don't know what to do, I have been to umpteen drs and they have said to give medicine a chance to work.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'm not saying you don't have a problem with your hernia and reflux and you may have a peptic ulcer so if you haven't had an upper GI for this you need that Helen, but nothing GI related would explain your neck pain and the pain in your back and down your arm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had excruciating pain in back of head when this flared up, a very intense head ache like I have never had. The squashing pain is between shoulder blades and extreme tightness in chest, find I am taking shallow breaths.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Helen. As I said before you need the cardiac workup but most of this may be a disk problem in either your neck or your upper back or both
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Approx 2-3 wks before I had flare up with things was on antibiotics for 12 wks for on-going bladder infections - azithromycin being 1 of them, my son a few weeks prior to that also jumped on to my back whilst I was sitting down, my head was bent right down as far as it would go which hurt at the time and I then did not think anything of it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
More evidence for a spine problem Helen. Please as your doctor about the spine MRI's