Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Had pneumonia and flu jabs two weeks ago. Can I take acyclovir

Customer Question

Had pneumonia and flu jabs two weeks ago. Can I take acyclovir for outbreak of herpes...
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Have you been diagnosed with Genital Herpes?
May I know your age and gender?
Are you taking any medications at this time?
Do you have swollen glands/ fever?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes diagnosed with genital herpes'

I am 65 and male in good health and appear younger than my age.

I am taking sertraline 50 mgs for stress[recently retired. Am a lot better in myself and hope to ask doc if I can stop sert. soon]

No swollen glands /fever.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.
Well, there are few factors, which could result in such outbreak, These are-
-Emotional stress,
-Fatigue,
-Other infections, such as a cold or the flu,
-Physical injury, such as irritation, of the genital area,
-New sex partners,
-Any condition that weakens the immune system.
As you had flu in recent time, So it has aggravated herpes symptoms, and you have a outbreak.
Yes, you can safely take Acyclovir. It is an antiviral drug. It slows the growth and spread of the herpes virus in the body.
Antiviral medicines stop the growth of the herpes simplex virus (HSV).
It would reduce the severity of an outbreak of genital herpes and decrease the time it takes an outbreak to heal.
Antiviral medicine can reduce the number of outbreaks by 70% to 80%
So, yes you can take anti-viral medication like acyclovir.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You got it wrong when you said I had had flu. I actually said I had pneumonia and flu JABS two weeks ago.....

Dear customer,
Thanks for further clarification.
I understand that you had suffered with pneumonia and taken Flu Jabs just 2 weeks ago.
As such it would not have any interaction with anti-viral medication Acyclovir.
Yes, you can safely take Acyclovir.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not quite right. It is my fault for not explaining properly. I have never had pneumonia. What I meant was that I had a pneumonia injection and a flu injection as well, two weeks ago.[To prevent both]

Sorry for the mix up

Dear customer,
Thanks for clarification.
I understand, that you have been given pneumonia injection and flu injection, 2 weeks ago. Yes, I understand that you are not suffering with pneumonia and flu at this time, and were given these injection only for prevention.
If you have outbreak of herpes, then you can safely take Acyclovir. It would not have any such interaction.
I hope it clear all your issue.