Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had some dizzy spells, one resulting in passing out

I have had some dizzy spells, one resulting in passing out and falling downstairs. I have had these over the post two years and no one seems to be able to tell me what is causing them. I have been assured I have not got vertigo. I have been told I have migraine causing blurred vision but this does not explain the dizzy spells. I have osteoarthritis in my neck and the dizzy spells seem to coincide with the fact that if I turn my neck quickly or am in one position for too long seems to trigger these spells.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Have you had MRI's of your brain and neck? Have you had a full cardiac workup? Any medications that you take?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had an MRI scan on my brain but not my neck. No I haven't had a full cardiac workup. I take alendronic acid one tablet per week.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Pauline. How long does this last when it happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With the exception of the one that caused me to fall down the stairs, most last about 2 minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Pauline. There are some possibilities here. One would be a narrowing of a vertebral artery in your neck that diminishes the blood flow to your cerebellum and causes the dizziness and the fainting. The other, less likely possibility would be what's called carotid sinus syncope--a hypersensitivity of the nerves in the carotid artery that can slow heart rate and lower blood pressure when you turn your neck. I would get both an MRI and a MRA of your neck and get a full cardiac workup to evaluate for both of these possibilities