Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Hi there I am looking for advice and please see below my

Hi there
I am looking for advice and please see below my recent medical history.
My problems started back in May when I had a funny feeling and popping in my ear. With this I also felt unwell. This happened on and off for a few months but never lasted more than a few days. Doc said it was a eustacian tube problem.
Around 8 weeks ago I became uneell with flu like symptoms but no fever, sore throat or cold. I then got better for around two weeks before being struck down again with the same problem.
Over the last few weeks my symptoms have changed and I get better hours in the day than others. The best way to describe how I am feeling now is a general unwell feeling with fatigue.
I had bloods done thyroid good diabetes and full blood count and epv. All was good except a slight raise in ck count of 450. These bloods done three weeks ago.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Please write the results with reference range. Sometimes though the result falls within the reference range with the typical symptoms a diagnosis can be made.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have results with me I just know everything was in range except the ck which was 450. I was tested for below but also epv, thyroid and vitamin d
Full haematology (blood count)
• Infection and inflammation markers
• Full cholesterol screen
• Liver function screen
• Kidney function screen
• Muscle damage markers
• Calcium screen
• Potassium level
• Sodium level
• Iron profile
• Glucose level
Dear customer,

Yes I know that they were in the reference range but it will be beneficial if you type them or scan and upload the results .

Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry I do not have them anymore. I thought I was suffering from anxiety so I threw them away. I also forgot to say that I can feel worse in the morning and have energy lows throughout the day. Tend to feel my best in the evening! Also I have been snoring very loudly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I need some advice as to next steps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically with these symptoms your doctor may consider obstructive sleep apnea where a patient can suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness, loud snoring, observed episodes of breathing cessation during sleep, abrupt awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath, awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat, awakening with chest pain, morning headache, difficulty concentrating during the day, experiencing mood changes (such as depression or irritability), difficulty staying asleep, and having a high blood pressure.

Also you must realize that untreated obstructing sleep apnea increases the risk for development of hypertension, myocardial infarction, stroke, diabetes, and work-related and driving accidents.

Therefore I would suggest that you have a sleep study done.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/obstructive-sleep-apnea/basics/definition/CON-20027941

Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have abrupt awakening but I do dribble and have a dry mouth. Can sleep apnea make you feel generally unwell and flu like?
Dear customer,

Yes sleep apnea can make you feel these symptoms. One may have symptoms such as daytime fatigue/tiredness, and personality and mood changes, including depression and anxiety.

Take care. Please rate the answer as GOOD/EXCELLENT SERVICE(click FOUR/FIVE STARS) if I have answered the question to your satisfaction.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I read somewhere about adrenal fatigue. Is this worth checking? Funny how I can have good days and bad! Could this be post viral fatigue or do the symptoms not fit?
Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Adrenal fatigue is not an accepted medical diagnosis. Unproven remedies and investigations for so the called adrenal fatigue may make you feeling sicker, while the real cause such as depression, general anxiety or sleep apnea continues to take its toll. So it is not worth checking out. Your doctor pretty much has tested you for all possible investigations.

There is however an entity called chronic fatigue syndrome and one of the theories for its possible cause is a viral infection. But this could be due to psychological stress as well. What will be helpful generally for all these symptoms would be to reduce the stress or anxiety, improved sleep habits, and a tailored program of exercises starting with a few minutes of exercises everyday and gradually increasing your physical activity.

Take care. Please rate the answer as GOOD/EXCELLENT SERVICE(click FOUR/FIVE STARS)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The weird thing is sometimes light excercise makes me feel a little better. My main concern is this is something serious and I should be pushing for more tests? Also if it is post viral fatigue what is the average recovery time?
Dear customer,

Most people recover within just a few weeks from the fatigue that follows known viral infections. Hence if the fatigue is lasting for more than 2 weeks other diagnosis such as anxiety, sleep apnea, or depression needs to be considered and treated.

Yes keep doing light exercises, these will be beneficial.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks doctor. Just to ask again would you push for anymore tests exams as I am worried this is something serious
Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

No I would not push for more tests but would rather suggest seeing a cognitive therapist and to know whether your symptoms improve after applying the techniques taught by the therapist. Also I would advice a graded exercise program. We all worry that something serious is going on sometimes, but since you have had yourself examined by your doctor and had tests done, you have no reason to worry and can calm yourself from knowing that you did whatever needs to be done.