Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I am hoping that you can help me. I have a son who is

Customer Question

Hi, I am hoping that you can help me.
I have a son who is 12, he had meningitis and an itracranial haemorrage at 3 weeks old, following this he developed epilepsy and other complex mental issues. during the last 18 months he has suffered with drop seizures as many as up to 50 a day.Last week during one of these seizures he hit his head and was admitted to hospital. He had a CT scan which i am having difficulty interpreting and would like your opinion. Previously to this his last scan was an MRI in 2007.
The CT scan said the follwing:
'The striking abnormality is assymetry of cerebal parenchymal volume with relative atrophy of the left hemisphere as evidenced by deep sulcation and relative widening of the left lateral ventricle.
It then goes on to say :
'interestingly I note this finding was not apparent on the January 2007 MRI, but had developed, along with a thin left subdural effusion, on the scan in April of 2007. Angiography and venography in April of 2007 shoed symmetrical vascular supply. The cause for this later hemiatrophy is not clear ( i understand the possibility of a neuro degenerative condition has been raised)
Potential causes for hemiatrophy include Rasmussen's encephalitis, infection, hypoxia/ischaemia and postictal hemiatrophy.
Abnormal white matter low attenuation is again present within the centrum semiovale
of the right hemisphere which is longstanding.
Could you please explain what is meant by these report findings as i now have to wait to see his consultant, which may be some time and i am concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Sorry to hear about your son. In layman's terms, the report is saying that the left half of his brain, the left hemisphere, has basically shrunken since the MRI. There's less total volume--less solid matter there--and the left ventricle--the tank that holds his cerebrospinal fluid--is larger. The radiologist is saying there could be several reasons for this including his previous meningitis, his intracranial bleed, or from his multiple seizures, or a combination of these. Ok that's my initial answer but I'll be glad to continue the discussion if you'd like.