Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

An 86 year old gentleman/friend has developed jaundice & was

An 86 year old gentleman/friend has developed jaundice & was taken into hospital last night. He had been VERY itchy all over his back & body for quite a few days before, while he got yellower & more yellow ! He has also become very skinny recently. He is on several thrice daily pills - having beaten Cancer twice in the last 20 yrs, has heart problems & occasional breathing problems. [ One of his pills is for 'water retention' - which I think will have depleted his normally healthy intake of vits & minerals over so many years !] He likes his food & usually eats v well BUT has poss been less interested in his own freshly cooked produce recently, so has resorted to ready meals, most of the time. He enjoys a moderate amount of wine, + a nightcap, but is mostly fairly careful of his intake .. only v occasionally overstepping & partying ! Can you give a suggestion 1). of how serious this might be ? 2). How long before he's likely to be well again, now that he's on a drip, and medication ? Yours gratefully, Joan P-C.

His daily food intake is : Breakfast -cereal & milk with his own home made fruit salad. Coffee with milk & a little sugar.

Lunch - either Salads with cold meats/fish /& pate, & glass of water.

Supper - usually freshly bought Fish /or meat with veg & potats. A glass of wine; Bedtime - a sm piece of cheese + whisky nightcap .. so you can see he has always looked after himself in this carefully balanced way ... or, when his wife was alive, she'd do roughly the same routine FOR him ! She died 6 years ago, but his habits are 'habitual' !! Don't know if this is of help .. he eats slowly & carefully, chewing everything as any well brought up adult should do !!

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries
1). of how serious this might be ?
This could be pretty serious and could represent recurrence of cancer or spread of cancer to the liver this time around.
2). How long before he's likely to be well again, now that he's on a drip, and medication ?
That is a very tough question. He may or may not make it this time of this is a recurrence of cancer or spread of the cancer to the liver.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanx for answer.

They've discovered a 'blockage' in a tube to his liver .. and he's to be moved to & operated on, at the well known Cancer hospital at Dundee [ which name escapes me for the moment !!] a.s.a.p.

Is this as serious as it sounds ? Joan P-C.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
This could be serious because blockage could be due to either stones (in which case it may not be serious) or due to a tumor or stricture (in which case it may be serious.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please accept the additional services offer.
Kindest regards