Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

i have the symptons of a urinary tract infection,but the test

i have the symptons of a urinary tract infection,but the test sample has come back normal,i am advised that urethritis doesn`t always show up on test,if that indeed is what i am suffering from?
As a matter of curiosity,why do we do a urine test just for an infection,when so much more can be diagnosed from a culture,i imagine it is the same when you have a blood test and check only for cholesterol,as i have had recently,as part of the NHS Health check for people in my age bracket.
kind regards
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.
Urine tests shows us various abnormalities like sugar, protein, pus cells/ red blood cells or any components of stones {calculi} in bladder. Urine culture is used to look for the organism and see which antibiotic it is sensitive to.
I would get ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis to look for any renal or bladder calculi/ prostate size as these can also present with symptoms similar to infection OR can increase the chances of infection.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.Good Advice.

Could i just clarify that the urine test i have received then, will just have been tested for an infection,and no abnormalities like you mentioned would have shown up?

kind regards

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Paul,
Urine test would show up all the abnormalities and not just specific infection markers.