Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi doc its shazad, back in August I had a CTPA which picked

Hi doc its shazad, back in August I had a CTPA which picked up some ground glass opacity in the posterior lower lobes.. The report said that it's probably a dependent change or early signs of an infection.. Now 2 weeks ago I have started with this nasty chesty cough which has been bringing up alot of green phlem initially but that has lessened abit now.. Do u think back in August the GGO was my chest infection which I have had now?
Why exactly a CTPA Shazad?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a CTPA because I had slight pain in chest and my d dimer was raised slightly
OK. More than likely the GGO was just dependent atelectasis--a collapse of the air sacs in a portion of the lung and nothing serious and not an infection. It does sound, though, that now you've got a bacterial bronchitis and that usually clears in seven to ten days without antibiotics. But if this has been going on for longer than that you should have your doctor take a look and see if he'd like to give you an antibiotic course now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a CTPA in June too and on that it said something similar.. "Linear sub segmental atelectasis is noted in the left base"
Do u think that was similar to what was seen as GGO in August? Could it be lung cancer? Anyway I've had a course of antibiotics which has lessened the symptoms
No, not cancer and atelectasis does give a GGO--these were just two different presentations on the films of the same thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.. Just one more.. Back in 2011 I had a CTPA and on there it mentioned "there is minor scarring at both lung apices"
That's just one radiologist's term for the same GGO--still nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for everything , you are a good doctor.. I've worried recently thinking that my cough is maybe early signs of Lung cancer because I read that phlegm cough can be lung cancer too.. Am I wrong?
Green phlegm is from an infection Shazad. The cough from cancer is usually completely dry or at most produces some blood in the process. Call on me any time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have had approx 10 CTPA scans in the last 9 years.. That's why was scared that maybe I have lung cancer.. But the chest consultant who I have seen told me that if cancer was to develop from that amount of radiation then it takes decades.. He said approx 40 years
I fully agree with him
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok just to finish off.. Back to my initial question.. Having that slight bit of thickness on my heart is not a risk and my pain I have is just muscular
Both statements are totally correct Shazad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.. Have a nice day and God bless
You too my friend