Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi doc its shazad, back in August I had a CTPA which picked

Hi doc its shazad, back in August I had a CTPA which picked up some ground glass opacity in the posterior lower lobes.. The report said that it's probably a dependent change or early signs of an infection.. Now 2 weeks ago I have started with this nasty chesty cough which has been bringing up alot of green phlem initially but that has lessened abit now.. Do u think back in August the GGO was my chest infection which I have had now?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Why exactly a CTPA Shazad?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a CTPA because I had slight pain in chest and my d dimer was raised slightly
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. More than likely the GGO was just dependent atelectasis--a collapse of the air sacs in a portion of the lung and nothing serious and not an infection. It does sound, though, that now you've got a bacterial bronchitis and that usually clears in seven to ten days without antibiotics. But if this has been going on for longer than that you should have your doctor take a look and see if he'd like to give you an antibiotic course now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a CTPA in June too and on that it said something similar.. "Linear sub segmental atelectasis is noted in the left base"
Do u think that was similar to what was seen as GGO in August? Could it be lung cancer? Anyway I've had a course of antibiotics which has lessened the symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, not cancer and atelectasis does give a GGO--these were just two different presentations on the films of the same thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.. Just one more.. Back in 2011 I had a CTPA and on there it mentioned "there is minor scarring at both lung apices"
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's just one radiologist's term for the same GGO--still nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for everything , you are a good doctor.. I've worried recently thinking that my cough is maybe early signs of Lung cancer because I read that phlegm cough can be lung cancer too.. Am I wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Green phlegm is from an infection Shazad. The cough from cancer is usually completely dry or at most produces some blood in the process. Call on me any time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have had approx 10 CTPA scans in the last 9 years.. That's why was scared that maybe I have lung cancer.. But the chest consultant who I have seen told me that if cancer was to develop from that amount of radiation then it takes decades.. He said approx 40 years
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I fully agree with him
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok just to finish off.. Back to my initial question.. Having that slight bit of thickness on my heart is not a risk and my pain I have is just muscular
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Both statements are totally correct Shazad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.. Have a nice day and God bless
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You too my friend