Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have just had a letter from my chest consultant I have not

Customer Question

I have just had a letter from my chest consultant I have not got COPD. But interstitial lung disease
Likely NSIP Radiogically connective tissue disease with vasculitis ( characterized ) emphysema but no
COPD what does all this mean?Please could you give me an answer.
thank you David J Kerswell
*****@******.***
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

NSIP, or non-specific interstitial pneumonia, is an autoimmune disorder that can be associated with other autoimmune conditions, and in your case with vasculitis, which is inflammation of the blood vessels. In NSIP, there is an increase in cells or fibrous tissue around the air sacs of the lungs. This increase in tissue

It is important to note that pneumonia is a generic term for inflammation in the lungs, and can be a variety of conditions. In common usage, it has come to mean a bacterial pneumonia, but there are many different non-infectious forms of pneumonia, as in this condition.

Like other autoimmune disorders, the usual treatment for this are medicines that control the inflammation. The usual first line treatment are steroids, usually oral Prednisone. There are also several other medicines that can be used that work by suppressing the immune system.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer on my poorly lungs. My breathing is not

Good, could you recommend , medicine,and would a medicine help me

breath a little better.

yours David j Kerswell.

*****@******.***

Yes, the steroids noted above will usually provide some benefit. It is usually prescribed as oral prednisone. However, no medicine will work 100% of the time, and if the steroids are not helpful, then a medicine to suppress the immune system would be appropriate.