Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi. Over the last few weeks my waist size has reduced from

Hi. Over the last few weeks my waist size has reduced from 36" to 34" not through exercise or diet and i am also thirsty a lot of the time so drinking a lot of water. In the last few days i am getting a lot of pins & needles in my little finger which last for a good few hours. I eat well (Home cooking family dinners, pasta, rice veg etc)and do some exercise. I am 39 and male. Should i get checked out?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Is there any loss of weight in past few weeks?
Do you have excessive urination?
Any major change in food intake/habit in past few weeks?
I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Robert,

No weight loss.

More urination but put it down to drinking more water.

Food intake same as ever.

Normal weight for my height 6ft 1.

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
Most common causes are:loss of appetite chronic infections and infestations, depression (major depression), diabetes,heart failure,auto immune disorders.
You need various blood tests,urine tests,ultrasound & other scans to know the exact cause of this unintentional inch loss(from 36" to 34") & then treatment will be done accordingly.
The pins & needles sensation(numbness) you are having in the little finger usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke,transient ischemic attack.
Also this can be due to:Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B-12,certain medications.The underlying cause of numbness in finger should be identified and then treated by your doctor.
The excessive thirst(polydypsia),excessive urination(polyuria),numbness,inch loss are the symptoms that cannot be ignored.
Although there does not seem to be anything serious or dangerous but this should be examined by your doctor.
So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert