Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have recurrent ear problems which are extremely painful.

I have recurrent ear problems which are extremely painful. I am female 62 yrs of age.
I have had countless ear problems but whenever I am referred to hospital the appointment is so long coming my ears have been fine at each consultation. Then a week or just days later the pain is back. My ears bleed, have discharge which can be clear, white or pale green. My husband has actually seen blisters in my ears pop while he watched (we have a cheap otoscope ) I have been given Betamethasone drops which help a bit and take pain relief also.
We have kept a diary this year and it is now clear that every time my ears get bad I have also had a cold sore ( herpes simplex ) for a few days. I have been told by one doctor he thought maybe I have a skin condition, maybe psoriasis or something in my ears.
I also notice sometimes that behind...not inside..my ears is a cheesy like smell even right after showering...the kind of smell we normally associate with thrush.
Could my ear problems be associated with the herpes virus do you think and if so should I try to get my doctor to prescribe anti viral meds ?
Thanks, Linda
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Absolutely this is recurrent herpes. That explains the blisters in the ear as well
You should be on suppressive anti virals.
I recommend valcyclovir 500 mg per day
You are very wise to suspect this as you are correct
Need more help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, I am infact a retired nurse so am used to "looking a little deeper " at medical issues :)

I just hope I can convince my unco-operative doctor here in the UK to prescribe !

Linda

You are right on Linda.
Your research and medical background has served you well.
Acyclovir is another suppression option and its cheaper
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just know I am going to have problems getting the script but will persist as this has been going on for years and makes me feel pretty unwell when at it,s worst.

Thank you again.

Linda

Just make sure to focus on the blisters in the ear. That shows herpes
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)