Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am 81 and I am due to fly to Majorca tomorrow. I am COPD.

I am 81 and I am due to fly to Majorca tomorrow.
I am COPD. I take Warfarin.
My nose was blocked when I awakened from a dose. I bloww my nose vigorously so I could breath through my nose.
Both nostrils bled profusely and had great difficulty stopping the. I lost enormous amount of blood possibly as much as a quarter of a pint.
I am anxious to go with my family tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like. My concern is what caused the bleeding since once that starts, with your being on warfarin, it is hard to stop. It may be that your nostrils are just dry and you could try coating them with a thin layer of Vaseline or another emollient. But the best thing for now if at all possible is to see a doctor and have him look in your nostrils to see if there's a small exposed vessel that can be cauterized with silver nitrate. If you chose to make the trip, you should at least have a doctor in Majorca take a look as soon as you can.