Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi dr, you know we were discussing my cough and that GGO..

Hi dr, you know we were discussing my cough and that GGO.. Well my cough sounds like acute bronchitis but when I cough I feel as though I can taste blood in my throat but there is no sign of any blood at all.. Should I still not be worried about lung cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What kind of taste is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's like a taste U have when u have cold/flu.. Bitter type .. Not that differnt from blood taste
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, classically blood tastes metallic but the bitter taste is typical of infected phlegm. And for you to have blood in your sputum from a lung cancer it would have to be fairly large and would easily have shown up on the scans or just on a plain chest x-ray
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You mean a tumor would have been large? And something would have shown up 2 months ago? U might be right , the taste is in the phlegm.. Salty bitter type of taste.. In the past I've just called a fluey type of taste
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes a tumor would have to be large and invading the bronchial tubes. And it would have been obvious two months ago if it was causing bleeding in the sputum now. This isn't blood you're tasting Shazad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So worst case scenario.. If that GGO was early stages of cancer it wouldn't have progressed so quickly to give me the symptoms im having now? The only reassuring thing I know about this cough is that it has changed from a very bad chesty cough to a mild chesty dry cough.. If it was cancer related then I assume this wouldn't be the case?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No it wouldn't but I've already told you it wasn't cancer to start with. And again a cancer cough is generally nagging and totally dry--not like the phlegmy cough you have
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks doc.. It's not phlegmy anymore just a dry irritating type.. But I'll take ur word for it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Put the worry about cancer behind you Shazad and call on me again if you need
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care