Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I AM A 67 YEAR-OLD FEME AND HAVE A LONG-TIME PROBLEM WITH

I AM A 67 YEAR-OLD FEME AND HAVE A LONG-TIME PROBLEM WITH EXCESSIVE SWEATING. iT MAKES IT UNPLEASANT FOR MU HUSBAND TO TOUCH ME.
I HAVE HAD PARKINSON'S DISEASE FOR NEARLY 20YEARS AND A LOW ACTING THYROID FOR ALMOST AS LONG.
MRS LINDA HAY
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you seen a doctor for this?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Customer:

NO, I HAVEN'T CPM

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

The condition of excessive sweating is called hyperhidrosis.
Hyperhidrosis can be sometimes due to diseases like hyperthyroidism, diabetes and other metabolic diseases, hence you should consult your doctor for tests for thyroid hormones and blood sugar.
Hyperhidrosis is more commonly idiopathic, that is, not due to any disease conditions.
Hyperhidrosis is a not uncommon disease, but fortunately there are a number of treatment options available.
The first line of treatment is to use a topical drug which you can apply on the skin. The most commonly used ones is those containing aluminium hydrate (brand name-Drysol, Hypercare). You can discuss with your doctor about using this, mainly on the underarm, palms, soles and other troublesome areas. It is fairly cheap and easy to apply.
Robinul forte is the most commonly prescribed drug for this. Another drug sometimes used for this is hycosamine.
Another common and useful treatment is Iontophoresis, this is chiefly applicable to excessive sweating of the hands and feet. It is fairly cheap and is very helpful. In this, your hands and feet are immersed in water through which a very light current is passed.
Another more recent treatment is using Botox.
The last treatment is a surgical procedure, which again you will not need unless it is very severe.
In my opinion, local application of the ointment and medications likeRobinul would be the best treatment options for you. You should discuss this with a dermatologist.
You may consult this site for some more information:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007259.htm
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.