Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I had my ear syringed yesterday but it was very painful after

Customer Question

I had my ear syringed yesterday but it was very painful after it for some time with noises in the ear and later a watery pinkish (blood ? ) discharge. I saw a GP before the discharge
who was not able to see the eardrum because of the inflammation and who prescibed betnesol. Is it safe to use this medicine as it says in the notes with it not to be used for a perforated ear drum which i think i may have
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am an ENT specialist and can help you with this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

did you have discharge from your ear before you were syringed?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

why was the syringing done?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

JACUSTOMER-dygc5pqu- :

no discharge before syringing which was done to remove ear wax

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well it appears that there was some injury during the syringing

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is probably not from the ear drum itself and most likely from the canal

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but another possibility is that you had a pre-existing perforation which is now causing the bleeding

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in either case, betnesol is quite safe

Dr. P. Jyoti :

though the directions may say that it is not to be used in perforated ear, yet in practise we regularly use steroid drops for perforations in the ear

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but i would have preferred a antibiotic-steroid combination rather than plain steroid

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask your doctor about this - whether an antibiotic-steroid combination would not be more useful

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since it is painful and discharge is pinkish which means blood stained

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you should also discuss with the doctor who did the syringing

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since the canal is swollen, this is most likely an injury of the ear canal

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

JACUSTOMER-dygc5pqu- :

No thanks

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.