Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hello! I was in hospital with bowel inflammation in April.

Hello!
I was in hospital with bowel inflammation in April. There's a thickening of the small intestine, and I was put on steroids for a couple of months. I had a colonoscopy: all clear. I then had fecal and bloods. It took five months for the results to arrive. In the interim, the pain went away, there are still moments of slight discomfort, but all has been well. I had full liver kidney and standard bloods taken two weeks ago - all normal. As I said, the consultant results took 5 months, and arrived on Thursday: fecal & bloods normal, but wants an MRI, and has prescribed Pentasa 4g daily. No consultation. I started taking it yesterday morning, and today I get waves of feeling exceptionally nauseous, dizzy and sweaty. I WAS feeling fine till I took this. Will it get better? Should I stop it till I can see my GP? Why prescribe it if the results were normal?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages as they may not be visible till you scroll. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Have you done the MRI?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are you there? would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

Customer:

I haven't had the MRI yet. My current concern is the side effect of the Pentasa

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You should not worry much about this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

headache and nausea and vomiting are the most common side effects of Pentasa

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so what you are having is quite common

Dr. P. Jyoti :

usually this will disappear by itself when you continue the drug

Customer:

OK. It's extremely discomfortable, and is making functioning quite difficult. As I said - all results were normal, and I'm not sure why I'm taking it without results leaning that way

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so I suggest that you continue to take it, the side effects usually disappear by 2-3 weeks

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but of course if they get very severe then you need to stop the drug and talk to your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

results are not completely normal since you say your small intestines were thickened

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so your consultant must have seen something which suggests Ulcerative Colitis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I can understand that it is a difficult time for you but usually the side effects will disappear by themselves

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so continue the drug for now

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but take care to have a lot of fluids like water and fruit juices

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also take a healthy nutritious diet

Dr. P. Jyoti :

minimize alcohol, avoid smoking completely if you smoke

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take frequent small meals

Customer:

OK - Thank you. I'll chat to MY GP on Tuesday anyway, to learn what's going on. I'll keep an eye on the side effects. Thanks very much indeed.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

meals should be generally bland - avoid spicy fried foods

Customer:

I don't smoke - and only have a little wine at the weekend.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will help cut down nausea

Dr. P. Jyoti :

thats all right, a little wine wont harm

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take the other steps also with your diet

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you should be able to come out of the side effects with this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

It's good to know these side effects usually wear off. Thanks again.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

I tend to eat a lot of veg - do I have to steer clear of fibrous food for now?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

no, in fact fibrous foods will be very helpful

Customer:

OK - thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take them, it will help with your side effects

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Customer:

That's been a great help and set my mind at ease. Good bye!

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.