Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have pain in my forearm and hand. The pain is almost similar

I have pain in my forearm and hand. The pain is almost similar to like when dentist drilling into the tooth and as if the pain reach my bone. if it got really worse the pain is pulsating. The pain start from my forearm down to my hand. My hand would appear to be swollen and I can't grip things with the affected hand. My hands feel weak too. Flexing my hand would worsen the pain so I always kept my hand in straight position. Coldness also worsen the pain. I always have the pain at my right hand but also occur at the left twice in the past. The pain usually subsides within a week.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
This is classic carpal tunnel
I recommend you get carpal tunnel wrist splints
You can find them online
Also you might need surgery to release the carpal tunnel
see your GP for this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it common to get this in 20s? I started to have this when I was 19. And I'm a female. And I don't have sensory loss just difficulty to grip things. Will I get any complications in the future if I don't get this treated eg via surgery?

Yes it's common in people especially if you work with your hands
If it's not treated yes you can get nerve damage
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)