Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am 50, male, quite fit physically from Meta-fit circuit gym

I am 50, male, quite fit physically from Meta-fit circuit gym sessions, but I always feel like I have phlegm gathering at the back of my throat and regularly want to cough it up to clear. Recently in the morning, when there is most phlegm, the phlegm has blood in it when I cough it up. Can you advise me on this please?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen as yet for this?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any tests done?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you smoke"?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

On any medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please answer the questions that I have posted above.

Customer:

I haven't been seen for this.

Customer:

No tests have been done.

Customer:

I don't smoke.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

On any medications for anything currently?

Customer:

No medication other than skin care hydrocortisone for long standing dry skin condition.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

since how long are you having this problem?

Customer:

The phlegm in throat for maybe a couple of years. Blood in phlegm only recently.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Sorry

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Had to attend an emergency

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Blood in the phlegm is something that is very common and can happen when tiny blood vessels in the throat are broken which can happen due to persistent coughing.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

However, having said that, I would like that you should be examined by your doctor and have tests done.

Customer:

I don't have persistent coughing. I'm asking why i have persistent gathering of phlegm for such a long time, why it is worst in the morning and why might there be blood in the phlegm in the morning. When I have the opportunity I will arrange a visit to my own doctor. I'm paying for this service now because I don't have the opportunity to see my own doctor.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The most common cause at your age with the symptoms that you are mentioning is chronic bronchitis.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This diagnosis is confirmed by various tests like chest x ray, blood tests, pulmonary function tests etc.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Once the diagnosis is confirmed you will be put on various medications to help reduce your sputum. If the phlegm has increased recently which is blood stained like you mentioned you will require a course of antibiotics.

Customer:

Even though I am training at the gym most days on high rate cardio-vascular exercises?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Therefore, it is essential that you do visit your doctor to have a clearer picture before we can put you on medications that can help you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes even though you are training at gym, mild chronic bronchitis can be your problem causing phlegm.

Customer:

and does this often produce blood in the phlegm?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes it is very common.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Blood in phlegm in itself is usually not something that is an emergency or anything to worry about too much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It should, however, be investigated further with chest x ray and possibly CT scan if required.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But usually not something to worry about a great deal.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

ok thanks for advice.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest Regards