Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

i am age 78 and have prostate cancer but not any treatment

i am age 78 and have prostate cancer but not any treatment yet - i have a PSA test ever 3 months - as the Doctor says its a slow growing one. However 8 weeks ago I complained to my Doctor of having Sciatica in my right leg and it was painful especially at nightime in bed - I was told "it was just one of those things" by my Doctor. Yesterday I visited a website on Prostae cancer and it mentioned that Sciatica in one leg was a sign the cancer was spreading to bone material - What is the situation please in reality with this condition ? regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

With your symptoms, I think that you should have an MRI of your lower spine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

MRI will clarify whether it is a prolapsed disc causing sciatica or whether it is due to spread of tumor to your lower spine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Meanwhile, if your pain is severe, you should be referred to a pain medicine specialist to assess you for a nerve block injection into your back to help you with your pain.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If that is not possible you will require strong anti-inflammatory medications along with nerve pain medications like gabapentin or pregabalin or duloxetine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I have answered your question above.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rate me positively for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks for your clear reply - is it possile to have a reasoanble increased PSA level but actually have a greater chance of cancer spreading - hence the Sciatika pain ? is there cause for concern as I have actually not had any treatment so far ?

regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
is it possile to have a reasoanble increased PSA level but actually have a greater chance of cancer spreading - hence the Sciatika pain ?
I personally do not think that this pain is as a result of spread of cancer to the spine causing sciatica.
I think that a spine issue or a disc problem should be ruled out.
I would have done a MRI before deciding treatment.