Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been diagnosed with female pattern baldness, my parting

I have been diagnosed with female pattern baldness, my parting is starting to widen. Im only 28 and the recommended treatment is a 12 month laser treatment that costs €3465. Which I do not have:( can you recommend another path of treatment?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There are a couple of other commonly used options that may help with female pattern baldness. Topical minoxidil may be helpful for many women and is over the counter in many countries. A common brand name is ***** ***** it is also available as a generic. There also is a medicine, spironolactone, that helps with female pattern baldness by blocking the effect of androgens, and consequently help with the hair loss. Spirololactone is only available by prescription.

It is also worth noting that for young women that are taking oral contraceptives, it also may help to use certain oral contraceptives lower in androgen activity. Some oral contraceptives have a higher level of androgen potency, so may worsen female pattern baldness. Using an oral contraceptive with a low androgen activity will frequently help the female pattern baldness. The female pattern baldness is frequently not a reason to take oral contraceptives, if not otherwise being taken, but if also seeking birth control, there should be a discussion about the use of an oral contraceptive that will not make it worse and may help.

Laser treatments do appear to be effective in many women, but in this country, they are usually reserved for women that have failed the above interventions.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.