Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

hi, i hope you may be able to help me. i had a chest xray in

hi, i hope you may be able to help me. i had a chest xray in may this year as routine when i was having dizzy spells and headache. the doctor told me the xray was clear and i heard no more from then and my hedaches and dizziness stopped within a few weeks which my gp put down to anxiety as i was going through a few problems at home. However in september i had small amount of blood when brushing my teeth and as a worrier i took myself to A and E . they done a chest xray and told me everything was clear and sent me home. A few days later i discovered that the blood was actually coming from my gums, obviously i was exxtremely relieved and started brushing my teeth with sensodyne toothpaste and the bleeding stopped. yesterday i had a phone call from my gp telling me that a 'composite shadow' had been noted on the xray i had in may, and worse, the xray i had in september showed a 'slight change'. He told me that he was not overly worried as i am a 31 year old woman who has never smoked and had no exposure to powerful chemicals and no history of any cancer in my family. he told me that the chances of lung cancer was very unlikely and the change in the shadow could be any thing from a bad image to a rib or breast giving the appearance of a change. I am going out of my mind with worry. I am being sent for another xray within the next 2 weeks, and due to my report of coughing blood i am being referred to a specilist (despite the discovery of the bleeding gums) I would greatly appreciate your opinion on this matter, i am a single mother of 2 young children and im terrified. please help, Cara.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am a cancer doctor

Dr. David :

I can understand your worry.

Dr. David :

however, instead of another chest xray, I would get a chest CT scan.

Dr. David :

chest xrays are two 2-dimentional images of your chest and this technology is from the 1940s.

Dr. David :

a chest CT scan is a much more detailed and a 3 dimentional image of your lungs and body.

Dr. David :

so there is no question about breast shadows or composite shadows to know exactly what is going on.

Dr. David :

if you get another chest xray, you could have more questions about shadows or could raise more questions.

Dr. David :

also, it doesn't sound like you have coughed up any blood and all of the blood was from your gums.

Dr. David :

don't let your anxiety get out of control.

Customer:

I thought they would send me for a ct scan ext but the gp told me that xray is prefered. what else could the shadow be

Dr. David :

it is difficult for me to say without looking at your age

Dr. David :

image

Dr. David :

or seeing your chest xray report.

Dr. David :

I would get a copy of your two chest xray reports.

Dr. David :

I would be happy to review them with you.

Dr. David :

but the shadows could be scar tissue in your lungs or a nipple shadow or a bone spur on a rib

Customer:

would they show a change between may and september though?

Dr. David :

yes, sometimes depending on how you stand or the technique of the chest xray, something stable can look like it has changed.

Dr. David :

a chest CT scan would be much more clear

Dr. David :

it is a more expensive scan than a chest xray

Dr. David :

but would be worth it to clarify the situation

Dr. David :

and help put your mind at ease

Customer:

i agree. i have no symptoms whatsoever off of online lung cancer checklists but i know that its not impossible for a young non smoker to get cancer. is it rare or common? thanks.

Dr. David :

it is very very very very rare for someone your age to get lung cancer.

Dr. David :

I am a cancer expert doctor and treat lung cancer patients daily at work.

Dr. David :

you should not worry about having lung cancer.

Dr. David :

but ask your doctor for a chest CT scan which will be much more clear imaging of your lungs

Dr. David :

and will help alleviate any question about what is going on.

Dr. David :

good luck to you

Customer:

many thanks.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.