DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Is schizoaffective disorder a permanent illness? I have had

Is schizoaffective disorder a permanent illness? I have had it for about 25 years. I am 49 years of age. I am wondering what my old age will be like.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Generally speaking, it is a treatable illness, but not a cureable illness.
This does not mean that people do not get a lot better, but in fact the exact cause is not known in medicine.
Medications and psychotherapy can be used, but there is no known cause that is being corrected.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Schizoaffective disorder is a very difficult illness. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I would like to provide another opinion
There was a large study in "nature" that revealed that the immune system plays a large role in schizophrenia and associated disorders
So there is ongoing research into searching for treatable targets related to the immune system.
Currently, there are no medicines available that do this but the hope is that within the next 10 years there will be
So my advice is to continue working with a psychiatrist in controlling symptoms.
Go to your local university hospital and see if there are clinical trials you can be enrolled in with any experimental drugs.
Maybe in the next few years there will be!
Good luck to you :)