Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

What could be the condition when at age 42 i started bleeding

Customer Question

What could be the condition when at age 42 i started bleeding at the mouth, i had a dietary exploration, eg: leaving certain foods out of my diet, it was determined that sugars and fats could not be tolerated in any form, i cut these out of my diet and i can now controll the problem, my youngest son now in his forties had developed the same condition also my youngest daughter in her 40s, it seems to affect the liver, cause exhortion, muscle spasms throughout the body and poor memory function, is there a known condition,
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Customer:

Hi, and thank you for coming to justanswer.com with your question.

Dr.Customer:

Difficulty with digesting fats would decrease the absorptions of vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is essential in blood clotting.

Dr.Customer:

Have you had any imaging studies? Any blood work?

Dr.Customer:

Hi, are you there?

Dr.Customer:

Can you tell me also if any of you have problems with your lungs, or breathing?

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

no imaging or blood studies

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

i am athsmatic

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

no problem with lungs

Dr.Customer:

As it sounds like this is something hereditary I would wonder if you and your family have a very mild form of cystic fibrosis. This would connect your malabsorption and pulmonary issues.

Dr.Customer:

When you say that diet and fats can't be tolerated in any form are you saying that they made your mouth bleed, or are there other symptoms as well?

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

none that i know of , though mother seemed to have problems with kidneys, father had constant ulcerated mouths

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

yes mouth bleeds, whole body goes i to spasm

Dr.Customer:

My feeling would be to first test for CF. That is a very simple test where they collect some sweat and check the levels of sodium. That would give you the digestive and pulmonary problems, but the bleeding would not come as a direct result of CF but rather from malnutrition.

Dr.Customer:

Does the bleeding require blood transfusions?

Dr.Customer:

From reading your question, I think that before the specialist just says "food intolerance" s/he should run some tests to see if there is a specific issue that can be dealt with or treated.

Dr.Customer:

The tests I would run on a patient with this presentation would include a vitamin D level, a complete blood count (to tell the amount of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets). I might run a test for Von Willebrand levels

Dr.Customer:

Whoops -- I meant a vitamin K level (not D)

Dr.Customer:

I would also test other things to see if your body is properly absorbing nutrients.

Dr.Customer:

Are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

bleeding does not require blood transfusions

Dr.Customer:

Okay.

Dr.Customer:

I think that the above are the first panel of tests that would make sense to run in order to get to the bottom of this.

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

yes still here, trying to work out system

Dr.Customer:

okay. no problem. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't lost you :)

Dr.Customer:

I will be leaving the computer in about 10 minutes. Would you like me to change this to a question/answer type question so that you can leave a message for me and I can answer tomorrow?

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

i think you have helped a great deal, i will take ad ice

Dr.Customer:

Okay. Feel free to come back with any follow up questions you have.

Dr.Customer:

Please make sure I've answered you so that you are satisfied enough to mark my service as excellent.

Dr.Customer:

Please also know that after you've paid you can still return with follow-up questions via the question/answer mode.

Dr.Customer:

G-d Bless

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

i think you have nelped a great deal i will take advice to xo tor

Dr.Customer:

sure :) Wishing you all the best!

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

sorry keep losing messages, will contact yoj tomorrow. thank you.

Dr.Customer:

No problem.

Dr.Customer:

G-d Bless.

JACUSTOMER-xrmnpl89- :

thank you.

Dr.Customer:

Your welcome.

Dr.Customer:

G-d Bless