Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had laser for a retinal tear in April 2013 and developed

I had laser for a retinal tear in April 2013 and developed a further hole in Oct 13. I had cryotherapy for this as it was out on the periphery. Both were as a result of a PVD I am still worried about further problems, is there a period after problems like this that further problems are less likely. I am still very anxious as I lost the sight in my right due to three retinal detachments(the last one was irreparable) Thanks, Una
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Una,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

posterior vitreous detachment (PVD)

sounds like your last surgery was about a year ago.

that is good you have made it a year and your retina and vision are still in good shape.

that bodes well for you not having recurrence of this problem

you can talk to your doctor about adding supplements in your diet such as glucosamine and NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) which could help your retina repair and help prevent future problems

you can read about these supplements here for the eye

http://www.retinalphysician.com/articleviewer.aspx?articleID=105648

do talk to your doctor about these supplements which could help prevent further retinal problems

let me know if you have questions.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician