Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Two weeks ago I was on an antibiotic for a UTI (trimethoprim)

Two weeks ago I was on an antibiotic for a UTI (trimethoprim) that cleared up but 3 days after stopping them I had a bout of constipation. This lasted 4 days until I took a laxative. All bowels movement returned to normal last weekend. For 6 days now I have been waking up with stomach ache... that is getting better over time. I also have a bloated feeling and loud digestive noises after eating. Stools were loose but are now normal. What could this digestion problem and stomach pain be? I have also had some mild back ache.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

What is the exact site of stomach ache?

Dr. Hasan :

Below rib cage in mid line?

Customer:

It is more lower... like below belly button. Often relieved when I have a bowel movement.

Dr. Hasan :

Is there any pain on pressing that area?

Dr. Hasan :

Any blood or mucus in stool?

Customer:

I thought it could be from the antibiotics.. so I started taking a probiotic supplement today

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it can be.

Dr. Hasan :

I am trying to figure that out.

Customer:

No blood in stool. I just feel pressure when I press on the area but no immediate pain

Dr. Hasan :

What is your bowel frequency these days and does your pain aggravates with food?

Customer:

I had a loose stool yesterday but it has now returned to normal. My main issue is the bloating and stomach pain

Customer:

Food does aggregate it a little as the digestion starts. It's not painful all day

Dr. Hasan :

Any fever

Dr. Hasan :

Have you tried anything else so far?

Customer:

I am just hearing alot about severe infections from antibiotics and I am panicking a little

Customer:

No haven't tried anything else as I don't know what it Is. No fever

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Customer:

It seems to be getting better day by day ..

Dr. Hasan :

As per symptoms the first possibility can be a condition called pseudomembranous colitis.

Dr. Hasan :

It is a condition which occurs secondarily to use of antibiotics.

Dr. Hasan :

Even if that is the cause, it is a very mild form and that has already started getting better.

Dr. Hasan :

But there is nothing to worry at this stage because your symptoms have improved significantly.

Dr. Hasan :

The pain you get can be due to acid reflux as well.

Dr. Hasan :

But acid reflux alone is not responsible here.

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can use the following measures.

Dr. Hasan :

eat soft diet like banana, rice, apple sauce, toast etc

Dr. Hasan :

Drink plenty of fluids specially Gatorade.

Dr. Hasan :

OTC tab pepto bismol twice daily can really help you feel better.

Dr. Hasan :

Using probiotic is a good idea. Yogurt is the best natural probiotic so prefer that.

Customer:

I'm In the uk. I'm not sure what gatorade is?

Dr. Hasan :

Gatorade is oral re hydrating fluid.

Dr. Hasan :

OTC means over the counter.

Dr. Hasan :

You can get it from pharmacy.

Dr. Hasan :

without prescription

Dr. Hasan :

Lastly see your doctor if symptoms persist and get stool tests done. Further testing can be done accordingly.

Dr. Hasan :

But hopefully that will not be required.

Customer:

Ok .. a couple of questions.. could this be from the antibiotics even if I stopped taking them 2 weeks ago?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes in pseudomemranous colitis or other side effects of antibiotics related to intestines, the symptoms can start just after the antibiotics and can take two weeks or more in some cases.

Customer:

Also.. I that likely what caused he constipation at first?

Customer:

Ok. Is back ache also a symptom?.

Dr. Hasan :

I mean the side effects can develop even at 2nd week after stopping them.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it is

Dr. Hasan :

Constipation is another side effect of antibiotics.

Customer:

Thank you..is the treatment for this more antibiotics?

Dr. Hasan :

No the initial treatment is stopping the antibiotic and then following the steps I have told you.

Customer:

I have been worried about stomach ulcers and tumors too. Would a doctor be able to feel my stomach for this?

Dr. Hasan :

If symptoms persist then yes other antibiotics are required but this doesn't seems to be your case.

Dr. Hasan :

Stomach tumor definitely not a possibility in your case. I assure you

Dr. Hasan :

No doctor can't feel it but can judge from your symptoms and run tests

Customer:

Ok because of my bad experience with antibiotics I'm reluctant to take them again. Is this something that can be cured without them?

Customer:

Phew. .Thank you for the tumour answer!

Dr. Hasan :

Mostly these conditions get cured without antibiotics.

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Customer:

Okay as I'm assuming it is a cause of an imbalance of bacteria?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you are right but gut might have become slightly inflamed as well

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry, you are going to be fine soon.

Customer:

Oh I see. Can it .. become.. unflammed (Sorry) in time and without antibiotics?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes definitely you will

Customer:

I hope so. I'm very worried. Last question... how long does your gut usually take to recover from this?

Dr. Hasan :

Your symptoms are better than before and this is indicative that you are on your way to recovery.

Dr. Hasan :

It varies but it can take couple of weeks

Customer:

Yes. I do feel a bit better than 2 or 3 days ago

Dr. Hasan :

That's a good sign

Customer:

Okay. I will probably see a doctor just in case

Customer:

I didn't realise it would take so long

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you must if symptoms persist

Dr. Hasan :

But don't worry I hope it will not be required and you will be fine soon.

Customer:

Thank you very much. I will now research this

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery