Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Dear Doctor, My 22 year old daughter has just come back

Customer Question

Dear Doctor,
My 22 year old daughter has just come back from a short camping holiday in the Lake District. On Saturday evening when she returned home, she discovered a tick on her body whilst showering. She was able to remove the tick quite easily by flicking it off her body. The tick was on her upper leg. There is a small pin sized bite where it was. The tick appeared to be like a speck of soot.
My concern is her catching Lyme's disease. I know it is very rare in the UK, but nevertheless Lyme's disease is on the rise and the Lake District is one of the hot spots.
I know that we have to look out for the bull's eye rash and flu like symptoms over the next week or so. My question is, would it not be safer to prescribe the Doxycycline Antibiotic to be on the safe side. My daughter was also contemplating asking her GP for an antibiotic for her acne. By putting her on Doxycycline could this treat a possibility of infection from Lyme's and treat her skin at the same time. Please could you advise the best course of action.
Thanking you in advance for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The tick would have had to have been embedded for at least 24 hours to have transmitted Lyme disease, assuming the tick were carrying the bacteria. So I think there's very little risk here. That said, there should be no problem for her GP to, in a sense, kill two birds with one stone and place her on doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for four to six weeks.