Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

If someone was infected with HIV and six / seven weeks later

Customer Question

If someone was infected with HIV and six / seven weeks later had 'flu like symptoms' and went to the Doctor would it show on the blood test completed by the Dr?
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

By 6-7 weeks there should definitely be markers for HIV. Did your doctor (or the person's doctor) test them specifically for HIV, or was it just a general blood test?

JACUSTOMER-ddke3r7v- :

Not sure. His symptoms were swollen glands, fever, shivers etc. He went to the Doctor and was prescribed Penicillin and the Doctor recieved the results back and said 'everything was ok and he was on the right course of treatment'

JACUSTOMER-ddke3r7v- :

Not sure whether it was specific for HIV or not

Dr. Charogat :

If the doctor did not suspect HIV or if the doctor did not feel that this person was at risk for HIV then s/he would most likely not have run the tests that check for HIV. It wouldn't show up in a standard blood test.

Dr. Charogat :

S/he would have to order the test for specific antibodies (or a test to see if the virus was there - which takes longer)

JACUSTOMER-ddke3r7v- :

Ok thank you for your help. What does a HIV test involve and how long does it take to get results?

I have changed this to a question and answer type question so that you won't have to pay any more.
Can you retype your last question please?

G-d Bless

I found your last question.

The tests run for HIV are both those that check if the viral DNA is present, as well as those that check what immune reactions have been triggered by the infection. These are both tests that would be ordered by the doctor separately from a standard blood test.

There is a rapid test that can be run - this takes 5-40 minutes to run (though it depends on if and which lab it is being sent to). Usually the standard HIV tests are available in a few days.

If the patient hasn't been tested and wants to be tested anonymously, in the USA s/he can call(###) ###-####to find out where the test can be done.

Does this help?
Do you need more information?

Please make sure you are satisfied before you rate me, so that you can give an "excellent" rating.

G-d Bless

Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 2 years ago.
I was following your question.
I can give you more detail on the exact tests
I am one of the HIV experts on this site
It depends on the test
1. DNA or RNA PCR test- 11 days conclusive
2. DUO test (4th gen)- 28 days conclusive
3. 3rd gen (antibody test)- 3 months conclusive
You can get these done at STD clinics, the costs may vary depending on type of test and location
I hope that this helped
please leave positive feedback for my time and expertise
use reply for clarification
it appears that our chat did not close properly.
Was there something else you needed or did I provide you with excellent service?