Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My wife has seen three different neurologists with her problem

My wife has seen three different neurologists with her problem and none of them can put there finger on the cause. The only answer we could get was that it was fifty fifty it could be epilepsy related. She has what I call episodes, she has a feeling that starts at her feet and goes all the way up her body and into her head. This frightens her and leaves her drained of energy. Recently these feelings have stared in the middle of her body but with the same effect. As you will appreciate it also worries me and would like an answer and if possible treatment to reduce this problem.
regards
Bill Bradley
01536 203329
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Could you provide details of what evaluation has been done to this point?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I said she has been having these episodes for some considerable time and she has seen three different Nuerologists. She has had a couple of CT scans and an EEG which came back as normal.

Thank you for the additional information.

When someone is having episodes that are uncertain whether they are seizures/epilepsy, then it is reasonable to consider advanced testing. A standard EEG can delineate the diagnosis in many people, but it may not be adequate in some people. There are a couple of different methods to perform advanced testing, including ambulatory EEGs and video EEGs. An ambulatory EEG does not use as many electrodes as a standard EEG, but are designed to be worn for a longer period of time to try to capture one of these episodes. A video EEG will allow the doctor to view the video of an episode and correlate the appearance of the episode with the EEG.

If it is impossible to clarify the nature of episodes that are suspicious for seizures/epilepsy, then it is reasonable to try different anticonvulsants to see if the episodes can be controlled. Her doctor apparently did this with the trial of lamotrigine. However, it would be reasonable to try some different anticonvulsants, such as valproic acid.

The other issue in someone with a condition that cannot be clearly diagnosed would be a consultation at a teaching hospital. The physicians at a teaching hospital typically have greater experience in evaluating patients that are difficult to diagnose.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.