Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

i have very chapped lips every second day they crack and bleed.

i have very chapped lips every second day they crack and bleed. i have had this for a number years and now have a very bad habit of pick the dead skin of my lips. iv tried all the off the shelf creams, oils and waxes the only on that seems to work is blistrex but all that does is loosen the dead skin but even if i keep applying it the cracks keep appearing. could there be a underlying problem that im missing. like rather than treating the symptoms i could do something to stop my lips from getting chapped in the first place
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

yes, you could have an underlying condition such as sjorgren's syndrome which could be causing your dry lips

sjorgren's syndrome tends to cause also dry mouth and dry eyes as well

also stomatitis and peri-oral dermatitis can cause dry lips as well

so it is best to see a doctor and get these conditions checked for to see if you have them

also vitamin deficiencies can cause angular cheltiits as well which is cracked and dry corners of your mouth

do you have a doctor you can see who can check for these conditions?
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician