Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi About 4 months ago i felt a musle at the top of my thigh

Hi About 4 months ago i felt a musle at the top of my thigh pull i put ice on it, i got slight bruising to the inside of my thigh, i went to the physio and she said it was the muscle that holds my hip inline, She the realigned my hip. Shortly afterwards i had a double hernia operation. I rested up, went to the gym, i then went back to playing football, however i can not kick a ball without pain in my hip area, at night afterwards i have discomfort trying to sleep on the side of the hip. I then was doing an exercise at the gym and felt a popping sensation in my thigh again. Ive rested up again but the hip symtoms have comeback and just above my knee on the outside of my thigh i have a strange sensation a bit like numbness, but when i pinch i can feel it. It feels as if there is something on top of my skin and the pinch is deeper than the top of the skin.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information/clarification.
What action of the hip and thigh elicits or exacerbates the pain?
There is no pain on the outside of the thigh, only this strange sensation, correct?
Do you take any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when going to kick a football with the inside of my foot or kicking it with a straight foot, i do not take any medicines. After i have tried to kick a football etc , there is a aching pain on the hip and at the back of my buttock. Yes no pain on the outside of the thigh just this strange sensation

Thank you for the additional information.

The pain in the upper and inner thigh are the common description of a strain of the adductor muscles, which are the muscles that pull the thigh to the center. These muscles also insert into the bone dee to the groin. In fact, the common layman's term for an adductor strain is a pulled groin.

The nerve that serves the skin of the outer thigh also runs through the groin, so it is common that any condition that can cause swelling of or around the groin, such as an adductor strain or recent hernia surgery, can also place pressure on the nerve to the outer thigh and cause the strange sensations that you describe.

Therefore, the usual approach in this situation is to address the underlying problem with the groin, and the strange sensation will resolve without any specific intervention for the sensation.

Since you are also having some hip pain, then there also could be a strain of the muscles around the hip or some inflammation in the hip joint or a tendon or bursa around the joint.

At this point, there are a couple of home interventions that can be considered. Local care is appropriate. Ice is most important for the first couple days after an injury, but thereafter moist heat is more important. It also would be reasonable to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If these interventions ease the symptoms, then no further evaluation or treatment is necessary. But if the pain persists, it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ive already used heat rubs etc

I did not say to use a heat rub. Moist heat is far more effective than a heat rub. Dry heat is more effective than a heat rub and moist heat is more effective than dry heat.

If you have already done all the interventions noted above, then it is time to see your doctor.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.