Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Back in July I went abstinent for a period of 19 days. Since

Back in July I went abstinent for a period of 19 days. Since then I don't feel that I have had a normal libido. I normal regular masturbation after this but it doesnt feel the same. I feel that my sexual desire has diminished and my erections are weaker and less frequent. This in contrast to when before I had a very strong libido and I was much more positive. Now I feel less affectionate and energetic towards my girlfriend. Just after the abstinence I did develop a nasty form of ocd which resulted in a lot of anxiety and depression so this may be another factor. I am only a 19 year old male so to feel like I have lost my libido is very concerning. What have I done to myself?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi, First off is your OCD being treated and if so are you taking any medications for it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is not currently being treated and I have taken no medication for it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK We can continue after this but I would first check your testosterone levels since a low testosterone level could be the problem. That said, usually the level doesn't drop so quickly as to be a major problem in just about three weeks. This is much more likely not to be a physical problem but an anxiety/OCD problem. If you'll take the important step of talking to a doctor about this and seeing a psychologist trained in cognitive behavioral therapy this problem should soon be resolved.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have considered treatment but this is something I am currently trying to self help myself with at the moment. I have been doing my best to socialise by getting out of the house and going to the gym regularly which has helped in alleviating my ocd and anxiety symptoms. Do you think that if I continue to do this, this could be the eventual solution to my problem.. Unless an hormonal imbalance is the underlying problem. Finally is it also worth limiting the amount of times I masturbate in a week to maybe twice a week.. To see if this improves desire?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Limiting your masturbation could help some. The socializing and being active are very good and it might also help, if you have a close friend, to talk to him about this problem. By sharing the OCD loses it's hold over you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great advice so far.. One final question however. If I have significantly reduced my testosterone levels, is this something that I could naturally boost again through eating right and exercising etc. Or is this something I will have to have medical assistance with?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Exercise and a nutrient dense diet of fresh green and leafy veggies and fruits, nuts, whole grains, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and no more than three servings a week of lean meats, fish, and poultry would be my suggestions. I think though it's much more likely to be an emotional problem and not a testosterone problem. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will let you know how this goes.. Thanks a lot.