Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello Dr.. Sorry been panicking again about that mention of

Customer Question

Hello Dr.. Sorry been panicking again about that mention of diastolic dysfunction .. If I did have it God forbid, what symptoms would I get?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem my friend. Early on it may not cause any symptoms at all but as it progresses the symptoms would be shortness of breath even at rest, fatigue, and swelling in the legs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok but right now I shouldn't be experiencing any symptoms? Looking at the readings that diastolic dysfunction shouldnt even be there? Anyway today I was sat down and felt as though I was having problems with my breathing . . Saying that, I've had a chesty cough for a few weeks.. And I think my nasal area might be a bit congested.. Do u think I might just be panicking?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I don't see dyastolic dysfunction from your readings Shazad. I think you're over worried about this term you just learned about. And no way you could do your workout routing if you did have it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I would have been out of breath on the treadmill test if I had it? I'm fine walking around aswell so I take it if there was a problem id be feeling it by walking around too?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
There is no problem Shazad and you should do fine on the treadmill test
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh sorry doc, I think u misread what I wrote.. I had the treadmill test earlier this week
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--I thought you meant if you had the treadmill test. Yes--you would have been symptomatic during the treadmill test if you had dyastolic dysfunction which again you don't have
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
See I get this reassurance and I feel ok.. Then come morning time when it s time to get up and go to work I get scared and think that I might have a SCD of I go out and about.. I have not been to work since last week because of this.. What are the chances of anything happening? I really want to get up tomorrow morning and not have this fear in me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You really need to let this go my friend--both your cardiologist and I have told you there's absolutely nothing to worry about. No chance of anything like sudden cardiac death happening and you need to get back to work. If you can't do that you need to see a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy for your health anxiety obsessive compulsive problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I agree and whatever happens tomorrow I have to fight it and go to work.. I'm already having CBT
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Be strong and fight and get to work tomorrow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.. Will definately try.. I was fine until I had this echo done.. Anyway before we wrap this up.. Say if for instance I did have HCM, how quickly does it progress? Is it quick or does it take quite a bit of time? Reason I'm asking because I will have to wait 6 months for a repeat echo and I'm scared that in these 6 months the thickness will progress to dangerous levels
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Actually even talking about this isn't doing you any favors when it comes to your anxiety, but it usually is a very slowly progressing problem with not getting to the symptomatic stage for several years. But since you don't have it, we really don't need to discuss that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol ok end of topic... One thing I've not mentioned, I have sinus arrhythmia , so I am able to control my heart rate with how I breathe.. Is that a sign of a healthy heart?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What exactly do you mean by a sinus arrhythmia Shazad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've just googled this:
Children and young adults commonly have a natural sinus arrhythmia that resolves with age. Another common form of sinus arrhythmia is a respiratory sinus arrhythmia, characterized by small variations in the heartbeat associated with breathing in. In patients with this type of arrhythmia, the heartbeat changes slightly with each breath, but the patient is not in danger.
In the past I was told that I have this.. If I take a deep breath I can slow my pulse slightly .. Also ECG machines have picked it up before
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Actually a lot of people have that irregularity and yes it isn't at all dangerous. Again from your numbers you have a healthy heart
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I think we shall leave it at that for now..
Just need to tell myself in the morning that:
1- I don't have HCM
2- im not at risk of SCD
3- my septum thickness is due to my weight training totally physiological
4- the times when I feel I can't breathe properly is down to me getting anxious and nothing to do with my septum thickness of the diastolic dysfunction (which according to your knowledge is not even there)
Agree?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Very good but add to that that doctors have told you not to be worried. Have to go so let's close with a rating my friend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u very much.. As always u have been excellent ! Goodnight
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure as always
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I asked my cardiologist same question as I asked you and his secretary replied saying:
Spoke to Dr Morley. No concern about the breathlessness, almost certainly anxiety. The technician comment "diastolic dysfunction" is consistent with the mild degree of thickening of the heart muscle.
Dr Morley arranging the MRI scan as discussed.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How to you feel about that Shazad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you say something similar too? I suppose if a few docs are saying the same thing I should accept the fact that I have nothing to worry about
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I did say much the same thing and I think the technician shouldn't have used the term diastolic dysfunction. Basically you need to put this worry totally behind you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
:-)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You too doc
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'm here whenever you need me Shazad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks that's good to know
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No more on this page my friend