Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

One swollen submandibular gland for over a year and asymmetrical

One swollen submandibular gland for over a year and asymmetrical sacs of tissue on the opposite sides uvula.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. What studies have you had for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I went to a GP about 2 months ago, she felt my glands and told me that she thinks that everything is OK. Didn't do bloods or refer me to ENT. Can I send you a couple of photos of my throat to see if I need to be referred to ENT? I don't think that in this year my submandibular gland had increase in size. She did confirm that it is a swollen submandibular gland but said it feels larger but all in tact with no growths on it (something she said would be a red flag.) As for those sacs of flesh on each side of my uvula, she didn't say anything but then she only spent 5 seconds looking in my throat.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sure--just post your photos on this page Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Let me know if you want me to re-take those photos or do a more detailed one. I can get it done in a few minutes. I'm not really sure whether all in my throat looks alright. Also I almost constantly have a foreign object feeling at the back of my throat on the same side (left) where that sac of tissue is slightly bigger than the other one & the same side where the submandibular gland is enlarged. Its not enlarged to a point where its sticking out and can be seen by the way, I can just feel it when I press quite firmly with my fingers. (and its movable, when I swallow and/or press on it.)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Got it Peter. A few more questions--any problem with heartburn or indigestion? Any problem with a dry mouth--not enough saliva?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No heartburn or indigestion, no problems with dry mouth. I did at some point try poking that sac of flesh on the right (what is it called by the way?) and I think I've managed to remove some slightly calcified yellowish material a couple of times, which did make things better for about a week, but then it returned. I did this a couple of times and it helped each time, but now there's nothing there/nothing comes out, but the foreign object feeling is still present. I tried all the imaginable gargles & had a 2 week course of antibiotics, but this did not help. Does my throat look OK doc? And what is that sac on the right side of my uvula and why is it bigger than the other?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Peter and we can continue after this if you'd like. You have what's called a cobblestone pharynx which is an enlargement of the lymphoid tissue as in the tonsils back there. Nothing serious but we usually see it either in gastric reflux problems or allergy problems. As for your submandibular gland, you may have obstruction of the duct from a stone and I would get an MRI to look for that. If it is a stone, it can be extracted by an ENT so I do think you need to have all this evaluated by that kind of specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it OK to have this cobblestone pharynx only on one side of the throat? Do you think its this cobblestone pharynx that's giving me a foreign object feeling? Any way I can get it back to normal?

Is there anything in my throat suggestive of cancer doc?

My GP really didn't want to send me to an ENT for some reason. I'm going to try and find ways to convince her.

Will close this question and rate after this answer.

Thanks for your time doc.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes it can involve just one side of the throat. And yes it's causing your foreign object feeling and I think you may have a reflux problem even with no heartburn or indigestion. You get it back to normal by treating that with something like Nexium or Prilosec. Nothing at all suggestive of cancer. Take care Peter but let me know how it goes
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.