Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a tetanus shot about 20 years ago and had a bad reaction,

I had a tetanus shot about 20 years ago and had a bad reaction, numbness redness and a stiffness around the area do the site which has always been there and around the size of a 50p coin in the last few months it has grown a lot bigger it's now itchy, red and really hard to the touch, I wine to my GP who gave me flucluxacillin but his has not helped, what can you suggest? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It would help greatly if you could post a photo on this page
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I upload a photo? Can I email it to you?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We can't use email here but you can use the paper clip icon on this page Tracy or post it on Snapfish, Imageshack, or Photobucket and give me the link
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have any of those?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK No problem. Is it smooth or scaly on top? Is it an actual lump or just a hard circle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's smooth but stiff and its warm and red , I can feel the start of it like a ledge under my skin where the normal tissue starts and the infected tissue continues if that makes sense? It's now bigger than the palm of my hand
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Sorry for all the questions but do you have anything like this anywhere else on your body?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's only that area
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Tracy. While this may be cellulitis the antibiotics should have taken care of that. It may not be an infection at all and it could be psoriasis or something called erythema nodosum which is a kind of autoimmune skin disorder. I would have you see a dermatologist for an evaluation and biopsy and then appropriate treatment. For now you can apply calendula cream to the area which should help with the symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks ill take your advice as my GP said she had never seen anything like it before..she was intrigued..off to bed now as its very late..thanks again..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Tracy but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you