Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Sorry to ask this.DAD died eight weeks ago.Twenty two year

Sorry to ask this.DAD died eight weeks ago.Twenty two year old hernia not operated upon(his wish).Wore caffiter on penis.Taking major laxitives up backside.Bowel slipped into hernia.Was told bowel good.At time delayed going to hospital so when sick coughing up stool because could not go to toilet.Death certificate said major organ failure.Need support for me thinking a week earlier visiting hospital would have helped.
PLEASE GIVE ME PEACE.
Martin
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Really sorry to hear about your dad

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There certainly had been a delay in operating the hernia

Dr. Shahzad MD :

He unfortunately died from bowel obstruction causing all the problems i.e. multiorgan failure in the end.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If the doctors failed to identify the obstructed hernia and delayed the surgery then they are certainly at fault.

Customer:

could not operate on massive hernia.too old for heart to take it.do I blame myself for delaying going to hospital but dad did not know bowel had slipped or is it dad was tired of pain and wanted to go.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is a difficult situation.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

In the vast majority of cases such hernias will not cause any problems.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But he was unfortunate that it happened to him.

Customer:

can I give myself any kind of peace because this is destroying me.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Well, if it were my father (who actually died of colon cancer at a very young age of 47) I would be sad obviously but I would know that operating a huge hernia at his age with his other illnesses that he had would have been a double edged sword anyways and it could have backfired.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I would like that you should calm down and it was probably something that you may not have been able to change.

Customer:

Dr Shahzad,sorry within the conversation forgot to say my father was 86.I'm sorry.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand, no problem.

Customer:

could you say it was his time to go

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would say that.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If it were my father at the age of 86 I would say that surely.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

if he was opera

Customer:

yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please continue

Customer:

if he was successful in returning bowel to normal position would he suffered with more pain,wearing caffiter and struggling to go to toilet.Also you say we were unlucky that bowel slipped as this is unusual.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

He certainly was unlucky.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

With such a huge hernia the possibility of a bowel getting stuck in the hernia and getting obstructed is rare.

Customer:

Last question.can I have peace

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes sure

Customer:

THANKS DOCTOR.You have helped.is there else I could have done even delaying going to hospital when he was sick

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you did everything that you could.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There was nothing else that you could have done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome