Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

hi my mother was admitted to hospital on wednesday she had

hi my mother was admitted to hospital on wednesday she had blood urine tests and an mri on her brain. she was diagnosed with low iron levels and osteopherosis and recommended a course pf reatment. the next dat the hospital asked her to come back in to do more blood tests scans ect there is a chance she could have myeloma, is myloma hard to diagnose? what are the best treatment options if she is diagnosed with it she is 82 regards colm
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
The diagnosis of myeloma is usually straightforward but at times it can be difficult.
The usual test for diagnosis is protein electrophoresis.
Other tests include urine protein electrophoresis, bone marrow biopsy, blood calcium levels, to name the important tests.
Best treatment options are in the form of medications like steroids, bortezumib, lenalidomide to name a few.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your answer you are very helpful if she is diagnosed with myeloma because of her age (she is 82 years of age) would the doctors considre not proceeding with chemo treatment as she is quite weak and has lost 2 stone

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
It will all depend on how severe the symptoms are.
They will consider giving 'gentle' chemotherapy for symptomatic relief.