Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I recently asked a question regarding my pericarditis and

Hi I recently asked a question regarding my pericarditis and dental work which you answered well. My next uestion is how long doew it take pericarditis to clear up. I am a bit worried as this is my eighth week of feeling so ill with chest pain. I am taking brufen and initially certainly this helped and to a degree still does. But I still feel so tired weak and so ill. I have been re- ferred to cardiology. The chest pain is constant either jaggy sharp burning goes to my throat. I am on omeprazole also by the way. please help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'll be glad to help but since there's no record of your last question can you please tell me briefly what your problem is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi i have initialy was diagnoised with post viral fatigue and pericardii about 4 weeks ago after being ill for a month with flu like symptoms and chest pains. my original question was could the pericarditis be linked to dental work I recived 3 months previously which was answered no.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Anne. How exactly was the pericarditis diagnosed? And can you tell me more about the chest pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi The pericaritis was diagnoised by my Gp after ecg and troponin was normal and he cxr was also normal he stated that the chest pain was probable pericarditis

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's interesting Anne since so far what you've told me doesn't indicate pericarditis. Can you tell me more about the chest pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My initail sympton regarding my chest was that there was something not right deep in my chest. \the pain is now accross my chest sometimes radiating to jy shoulders and back. It can be burning, or a tightness and also stabbing at times but it is continuous and accross my chest. also it can go into my throat. I feel the brufen helps but I dont know how much if the brufen is contributing to the burning sensation. I have tried a day with out brufen and the chest pain does appear to get worse.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Anne and we can continue after this if you'd like. Usually pericarditis resolves in less than two weeks and I really don't think that's your problem but I wouldn't say not to see the cardiologist. This sounds like it could be either a gastric reflux problem or possibly a peptic ulcer and if you're tired that ulcer could be bleeding and you might be anemic. Were I your doctor I would have you undergo an upper endoscopy to check for all that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My blood counts appeared normal the last time they were checked about one week ago. If what your suggesting is correct I would need to discontinue the brufen?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes if reflux or an ulcer is the problem then you shouldn't be taking any NSAIDs like ibuprofen. For now I would place you on either Nexium or Prilosec
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Interesting. i will discontinue with the brufen and taken paracetamol instead and telephone doc on monday for tnexium etc. It would be fantastic if you were right as I am really worried there may be something seriously wrong with my heart.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, so far I see no indication of pericarditis or any other heart problem Anne. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you