Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

Hi Dr, my heart rate is steady at around 65-70 then it will

Customer Question

Hi Dr, my heart rate is steady at around 65-70 then it will take drop to around 55 then go back to normal, is this anything to do with the heart thickness problem?
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 2 years ago.
Dr S.A.Alam :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Yes it is related to the thickness of the heart muscles of this is due to athletes heart.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Because heart in athletes is strong and can pump same amount of blood at a low rate then it does for a person with a weak or non athletic heart.

JACUSTOMER-uwvyursb- : But I've not noticed it before, it's only started today.. Why are the symptoms happening so quickly,? Do u think my heart might be getting thicker on a daily basis ?
Dr S.A.Alam :

no i do not think it is getting larger day be day because.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Heart enlarges at max rate at teen age

Dr S.A.Alam :

and this is what happens in HCM

Dr S.A.Alam :

it enlarges in teen age and it very thick by the age of 20 years

Dr S.A.Alam :

You are 39 years

Dr S.A.Alam :

and it is mild hypertrophy

Dr S.A.Alam :

which means it is due to high blood pressure most likely.

Dr S.A.Alam :

and they take a decade to enlarge.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Your heart rate is no an issue.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Once we find something abnormal our brain then tries to see more and more

Dr S.A.Alam :

this is what is happening with you

Dr S.A.Alam :

your heart rate is not an issue even 40/min does not need treatment

Dr S.A.Alam :

if it does not cause symptoms

JACUSTOMER-uwvyursb- : Yes I understand what you are telling me... My concern was why it will suddenly drop.. Like just earlier it was 70 then I was monitoring it and slowly went down to around 57 then suddenly jumped back to around 70
Dr S.A.Alam :

It is normal to vary heart rate from 60-100/min because this is what we call normal range

Dr S.A.Alam :

you may have never seen a doctor telling you that 72 beats/ minute is the accurate heart rate

Dr S.A.Alam :

because it varies 40 units during our activities

Dr S.A.Alam :

As you have 57 or 55/ min heart rate

Dr S.A.Alam :

so your variation of 40 from 57 is normal

JACUSTOMER-uwvyursb- : Yes I've heard about the 72 bpm.. So it's perfectly normal for my hr to be around 65-70 then for a couple of seconds it will drop to a lower number and resume back to normal rate?
Dr S.A.Alam :

In your case i would say that from 57-97 is your normal range.

Dr S.A.Alam :

If heart rate goes beyond this at rest then it is abnormal.

Dr S.A.Alam :

you have questions ?

JACUSTOMER-uwvyursb- : IM concerned yhat it goes irregular for a few seconds like it will be beating at regular rate at approx 70bpm then suddenly drops straightaway and then goes back to 70 again
Dr S.A.Alam :

Your ECG was normal ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Did you had a holter test ?

JACUSTOMER-uwvyursb- : Yes ECG 2 weeks ago was normal.. Did holter test 4 years and it was normal at that time
Dr S.A.Alam :

Then it means you are misreading the pulse.

Dr S.A.Alam :

It can vary

Dr S.A.Alam :

If you are sure you are checking it correctly and it is irregular

Dr S.A.Alam :

then it means you need to get a fresh ECG and holter.

JACUSTOMER-uwvyursb- : I was just concerned that I might go into a dangerous arrythmia like a VF.. Or maybe it could just be my breathing that changed it.. Aslong as its not dangerous?
Dr S.A.Alam :

Well VT and VF are very fast like 150/min and more

Dr S.A.Alam :

it do not think it is VT or VF

Dr S.A.Alam :

Breathing fast and slow can change the heart rate it is what we call respirophasic variation

JACUSTOMER-uwvyursb- : It might just be the oximeter.. I'm taking my nephew tobthe mosque now.. Inshallah chat soon about this
Dr S.A.Alam :

To me it is nothing serious like VT or VF

Dr S.A.Alam :

Only thing or test to confirm this is ECG and holter

Dr S.A.Alam :

I will be offline because it is around 11pm here

Dr S.A.Alam :

See you tomorrow Inshallah.