Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I have recently started knitting again but as I am 88 yrs old

I have recently started knitting again but as I am 88 yrs old I am wondering if the constant pins&needles I am experiencing in my left forefinger is the cause?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

I am Dr.Amita and I would be glad to assist you

Dr.Amita :

For how long have you been having these sensations

Dr.Amita :

Are these present only at time of knotting

Dr.Amita :

Do you get these at night time

Dr.Amita :

Do these sensations wake you up in night or early morning

Dr.Amita :

Please reply

Customer:

During the last 2 years I have been in hospital a few times with Attrial Fibrilation and |I first felt restricted feeling in the tips of fingers about a year ago. Due to the heart condition my excellent GP usually asks about that and I have not until today thought to ask her about the pins& needles as I thought it was a side affect from me knitting but the sensation is now not only in the night, although it does often waken me in the very early hours, but is almost a constant pain

Dr.Amita :

Thanks for the reply

Dr.Amita :

You need to get this checked to rule out carpal tunnel syndrome.This is a condition where the median nerve which passes through the wrist gets compressed and causes abnormal sensations like pins and needles as well as pain in the fingers supplied by it

Dr.Amita :

This can worsen by activities like knitting

Dr.Amita :

To confirm the diagnosis your doctor can do some clinical tests and order other tests like nerve conduction study

Dr.Amita :

Treatment can include use of splints to keep the wrist straight, use of certain medicines like Lyrica or Neurontin, injections into the wrist area and finally surgery to decompress the nerve

Customer:

So I really should stop knitting and see my GP as soon as I can get an appointment, which will probably be in 3/4 weeks? Incidently I had surgery for carpel tunnell on my right wrist about 10 years ago but dont remember the same pins/needles pain that I now have

Dr.Amita :

Yes you should stop knitting and have it checked.Pins and needles sensation is a common manifestation of carpal tunnel syndrome and two sides can have different symptoms.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. First time I have used this 'on-line' service.

Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

Hope you have liked the justanswer service and really wish that you are well soon

Dr.Amita :

Do you want to ask anything more

Dr.Amita :

Please do remember to click "Excellent Service " or Great Service " if you are done.